Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple series

Post by ananya92 »

I think like all Agatha Christies’ books, this series also empathizes on the relation between crime and human nature, but what makes it so different from all others is its detective who is so unlike any other. I think Miss Marple’s character is so thoroughly enjoyable as an innocuous old lady (or an old tabby/pussy so often described in the books) who comes across as a harmless adversary albeit a bit curious, and then she totally swings the game against the antagonist of the book with her understanding of human nature and the human society. And most of the books center around a quiet and sleepy village which suddenly comes alive with a murder and Christie’s depiction of the human thoughts are so involving, that one can’t leave a Miss Marple book alone until one has read just how Miss Marple saved the day with her most simple answers through acute observations.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

It is true Agatha Christies' Miss Marple's series is a relationship between crime and human nature also, Marple is true to her readers revealing clues as the story unfolds. They do not rely on action or technology instead use word play and character development. Simple mind play and a wonderful example of good writing.
felicia_cat
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by felicia_cat »

Yes, I also like the Miss Marple series, but do not care for the Hercule Poirot series, way too boring, kind of forced, and does not flow, and Poirot just does not click. to me, anyway. Did Agatha write the books about the couple, Tommy and forgot the lady's name, that were detectives, as those were good.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Yeah she did write the Tommy and Tuppence series.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I like this series, though I care more for her Hercule Poirot series. I don't care at all for her Tommy and Tuppence series and find it boring.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

And who are your favourite and least favourite actresses in the role? For me, favourite, easily, Joan Hickson, least favourite, though I admire her in other things, Margaret Rutherford.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
felicia_cat
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by felicia_cat »

YE,s I agree, Joan Hickson is the best. to my mind.
Phillymom80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2970">The Cuckoo's Calling</a>
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillymom80.html

Post by Phillymom80 »

I love the miss marple series, I would listen to the audio books while knitting, I guess cause miss marple was a knitter I was drawn to her.. Lol

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”