Official Review: Whats meant to be will always find a way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: Whats meant to be will always find a way

Post by Airam Velarde »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whats meant to be will always find a way" by Alekhya Talapatra.]
Book Cover for 2600
Share This Review

What’s Meant to be Will Always Find a Way is a short story written by Alekhya Talapatra. Set in India, this moral tale tells the story of a man, who like many others before him, will learn that man does not choose fate . . . fate chooses man.

Kaushik, a mathematics teacher of humble origins, has always had a great passion for reading and translating old books and manuscripts. On one of his many searches, he managed to get a hold of an astrology manuscript that was at least a century old. Kaushik’s interest in this manuscript and its contents grew until astrology and palmistry became his obsession and lifelong pursuit. After giving up his career and establishing himself as a full time astrologer, he came to be known for his very accurate predictions. However, his clients often met with disappointment, for he purposely would concentrate on delivering news of his clients’ future misfortunes. Giving them false hope was against his ethics. Instead, he would convey to them the whole truth, bitter as it may be. His clients would often ask for ways in which they could avoid this ill luck. Nevertheless, his accurate predictions were unavoidable. Kaushik himself knew this quite well. Yet after having predicted two great misfortunes in his own life, he too would try to fight his unavoidable destiny.

The story of Kaushik and his encounter with fate raises the question “Can one really avoid their own destiny?” Written in a satirical form, What’s Meant to be Will Always Find a Way, proves to answer this question by the account of a man who sought to do just this. The sequence of events that then unravel after the trouble he takes to prevent his misfortunes, are both ironic and amusing. I couldn’t help but remember old myths in which destiny also plays an important role. Moreover, with the story being enriched with Hindu culture and certain mystic subjects, I found it to be reminiscent of old moral tales. Because of the story’s main argument, the reader might have a slight idea of what might eventually happen to Kaushik. However, this tale still develops towards an interesting and pleasantly awaited ending.

Although I enjoyed how this story unfolds, I must say that what influenced me to give it a lower rating than anticipated, was its grammatical errors. I found many mistakes throughout, including run on sentences and improperly placed words. Normally I would not mention grammatical errors if they were only a few. Except that in this case, they were substantial and did quite affect the flow of the story.

Overall, What’s Meant to be Will Always Find a Way is an entertaining short read with a satisfying ending. Apart from its shortcomings, I would recommend this, especially to those who enjoy the often amusing work of irony. For these reasons, I give this story 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Whats meant to be will always find a way" on Amazon
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Alek69
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alek69 »

Thanks a lot..
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

This sounds really interesting. I am such a sucker for all things having to do with destiny. I will definitely check it out. I don't mind skimming over some grammatical errors. :D *adds to reading list* Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
AVK2913
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Blood and Gold
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by AVK2913 »

This does sound interesting. The way you mentioned irony and destiny made me remember certain stories. Would this one be kind of like Oedipus or that other one in which this man is told he would die, he tries to flee from death but ends up meeting it anyways. (Sorry I can't remember the name of that one :lol: ) If so, then I really have to read this. I really like those kinds of stories. :D
Great review!~ :mrgreen:
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

Thank you for your comments!
AVK2913 wrote:This does sound interesting. The way you mentioned irony and destiny made me remember certain stories. Would this one be kind of like Oedipus or that other one in which this man is told he would die, he tries to flee from death but ends up meeting it anyways. (Sorry I can't remember the name of that one :lol: ) If so, then I really have to read this. I really like those kinds of stories. :D
Great review!~ :mrgreen:
It is probably a bit like Oedipus in that there is a prophecy which someone tries to stop from occurring. If you like these kinds of tales then you should definitely give this one a try.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

This book sounds like another one that I want to add to my reading list. I like reading about how one's destiny is shaped and if anyone actually has control over their destiny. I'm a little hesitant to read it because of the many errors mentioned but the story sounds intriguing enough to overcome the inconvenience those mistakes might cause.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”