Review: "Spectrum" by Alan Jacobson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Betty56
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty56.html

Review: "Spectrum" by Alan Jacobson

Post by Betty56 »

It has been a long time since I read the first book that Alan Jacobson published. I really enjoyed that first one -- and he has only gotten better. I have not read any of the books in the Karen Vail series. So I felt at a bit of a disadvantage this being the third (I believe) in the series. But it was not a problem at all. There were some references in "Spectrum" that I am sure were regarding cases in the previous books. Rather than hinder my enjoyment of the current book, it only made me want to read those books.

The story switches back and forth between Vail's story (1995 to the present) and the perpetrator's story (1973 - 1980). It was fairly easy to follow but you do have to watch the dates. From one chapter to the next years may have gone by. But at one point the time is Feb 2011. Then in the same chapter it jumps to September 2011. Then a few chapters later it jumps back to prior to September 2011. So that part of the book was a bit difficult to follow.

Also it seemed as though Karen Vail is the true "wonder woman" as she progresses so quickly through from patrol cop to detective to FBI. Not sure that is very realistic.

But the story is suspenseful and kept me constantly guessing as to who the perpetrator was. I found myself at the end of each chapter telling myself, "Just one more chapter, just one more chapter." I will definitely be reading more of his books.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”