Dark places written by Gilliam Flynn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shamburg23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Dark places written by Gilliam Flynn

Post by shamburg23 »

You have probably heard of "Gone girl" since its now a movie, but Gilliam Flynn is a brilliant author. Dark Places takes you on a ride from beginning to end. Its a story of a girl named Libby day and the terrible murder of her family many years ago. Each chapter is told from a different character either from the nights leading up to the murder of her family to present day Kansas City as ms.Day age middle 20s begins to look back into that night she has fought years to forget. You will not want to put this book down as you try to solve the mystery with Libby day. Please read its very good
HotCake8

Post by HotCake8 »

It was fantastic! You are right, you can't put it down. I read Sharp Objects last week as well, it was good too, but I enjoyed Dark Places more. You actually don't see the end until the end, which was nice. :mrgreen:
wchrimes
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wchrimes.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by wchrimes »

I struggled with the beginning of the book. It took me a few chapters to actually get into Dark Places. Gone Girl was better I think. I want to read Sharp Objects, but don't have the budget for it at the moment.
Bridget_Jones
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-jones.html

Post by Bridget_Jones »

I really enjoyed Dark Places, even thought it was very dark and creepy. I definitely did not predict the ending so I thought the book was very well written! I was happy that Libby finally reconnected with Ben.
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

This was actually my favorite of Gillian Flynn's books because it was dark and gritty. I read Gone Girl in a day and a half and even though that was a book that you have to figure out what's next, this one is even better in my opinion. The beginning was a tad bit slow but it was really interesting and I love a book with no filter.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I think the most impressive point about Gillian Flynn is how she wraps the suspense element in her books. The sheer psychology of the main characters in the books is so mind blowing that one just can't keep the book down. An thats what happened with this one as well. Though I think I liked Gone Girl more, this one too kept the reader glued to the book till the end.
doraguzman2010

Post by doraguzman2010 »

I highly recommend Dark Places! It was my favorite read from the 3 Gillian Flynn novel. The change in perspective in every chapter made the reader want to solve the puzzle and not stop reading it. Dark Places really drew me in emotionally!
Laurawrites33
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurawrites33.html

Post by Laurawrites33 »

I really enjoyed "Dark Places." Gillian Flynn is a skilled writer, and this book is likely to grab your attention just like "Gone Girl" did. If you are in the mood for a book about dark secrets, I'd suggest picking this one up right away !
Beth-j
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-j.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Beth-j »

I am currently reading "Dark Places", I just finished "Sharp Objects" and really liked it. I thought I had it all figured out, until I didn't.
kimg77
Currently Reading: Leaving Time
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimg77.html

Post by kimg77 »

I loved Dark Places. I passed on the book to several friends & co-workers hoping for the same reaction. Sharp Objects not as much, but still I really liked it, too.
Just-moni

Post by Just-moni »

I found Dark Places really interesting. I couldn't stop reading it. But, i'll give it only 3 stars, because at the end it didn't felt like a solved crime. ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** It was really dark, and felt like Libby and Ben shared some dark resemblances. I was hopping this similarity in the character development would lead to something interesting, but it didn't. But at the end it didn't felt finished. It felt like something was missing, even if the mistery was solved. I didn't get what was idea of the Day girl (Ben's daughter) in the book. It didn't make any sense.
shannonmakes
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonmakes.html

Post by shannonmakes »

I saw Gone Girl before I realized it was a book - and then I read Dark Places and Sharp Objects in succession. They were such quick reads for me because I was so into the stories of each. I haven't read much in the thriller genre, but these definitely piqued my interest. I'd love to find more psychological thriller type of reads! I hope she continues to write more! I also heard that they're making dark places into a show?
Jweaver05
Currently Reading: The Memory Box

Post by Jweaver05 »

I have to start off my saying that Dark Places blew me away. At some points I was disgusted, at some points I was confused and at some points I was heartbroken. This book takes you through so many different emotions. It was really well written and I def enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed Gone Girl. It is worth the read!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This book definitely kept me on my toes emotionally. I was a bit disappointed about halfway through because even though I wasn't really trying to, I thought I had figured out a couple of the pretty big secrets. I was wrong, thank goodness, because nothing is worse than guessing the ending when you're not even trying to. At one point I had trouble sleeping because I was just so creeped out bye the whole plot of this book. But ultimately, I felt betrayed by Patty, the matriarch of the Day family. **Spoilers ahead** I relate so much to the aspect of her life that is taking care of small kids all day every day with no one else to depend on, and the exhaustion that comes with it. When she made the decision that her kids would be best served by the money her death brought, I felt like I had lost a comrade in this sometimes lonely grind that is motherhood. This is my favorite book by Flynn and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I suppose I'll be the naysayer here but this novel was actually my least favorite of Gillian Flynn's three novels. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, of course. Flynn is very skillful in creating suspense and keeping the reader on edge. I thoroughly appreciate the relatable darkness that she creates within her characters, particularly Amy in Gone Girl and Camille in Sharp Objects. **SPOILER ALERT** 1) I would say that the greatest annoyance to me with this story was the way Ben's character was regarded as not responsible. He still stood there and allowed his girlfriend to kill his sister! He shouldn't exactly be wholeheartedly forgiven and deemed altogether innocent, should he? I wasn't left with the impression that Libby should forgive Ben because regardless of whether his hands actually did anything wrong, he played a major role in the events that night. 2) Why did Libby just let Ben's daughter go? I felt that beyond the finish of the novel, there was more to that story. If she was as twisted as her mother, I fear that she would come after Libby in vengeance. It didn't make much sense for Libby to just shrug her shoulders and not worry about that potential conflict. 3) Did the coincidental timing of the killings bother anyone else? I did enjoy that all of the plot points eventually converged, from an artistic standpoint, but there was something a little too tidy about how it all tragically came together. 4) The Satanic sub-plot threw me off. As stated previously, my favorite aspect of Flynn's writing is her dark characters, particularly their unique psychologies. I suppose my problem with all the Satanism in the novel is that it was an external darkness when I would have preferred more time to be given to an in-depth exploration of the particular darkness within the individual characters, as with Flynn's other two novels.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”