Fairytale Horror?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Fairytale Horror?

Post by Gravy »

I like horror but prefer it to be supernatural in origin.
And of the flavors of supernatural I prefer the fae...or fay, fey, fairies, faeries, or sidhe.
I've found this type to be sparse at best.

I thought I'd give this a try...so

Please recommend any good supernatural horror but especially any about the fae?
Thanks in advance :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Nitatsu7
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: Gai-jin by James Clavell
Currently Reading: Deerskin by Robin McKinley
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by Nitatsu7 »

Man, I am scratching my head on this one. I feel like I read one a long time ago but can't think of it. Other than that, my more recent reading are the dark fairytales in various collections but not a good fictional novel sorts.

Hmmm, only one I know of that might be what you are looking for from looking about is 'The Fae Chronicles' by Amelia Hutchins. It's a series and it has really good ratings: 4.5 stars out of 5 with 300+ reviews

Hope this helped~!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Nitatsu7 wrote:Man, I am scratching my head on this one. I feel like I read one a long time ago but can't think of it. Other than that, my more recent reading are the dark fairytales in various collections but not a good fictional novel sorts.

Hmmm, only one I know of that might be what you are looking for from looking about is 'The Fae Chronicles' by Amelia Hutchins. It's a series and it has really good ratings: 4.5 stars out of 5 with 300+ reviews

Hope this helped~!
I know! I've never understood the lack of fae in horror.
I mean, they are the original horror stories!
I'm hoping with the uptick of fae-like horror in movies that books will follow *fingers crossed*
Thank you very much.
I'll be sure to look into those

Nitatsu7

Post by Nitatsu7 »

Yes ~ I know I absolutely loved the movie Pan's Labyrinth <3

It' weird that in Games that Fae's are normally monsters such as in Rift. I suppose fae have been softened YEARS ago just like society is doing now with vampires... being sparkly... -,-
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sparkly vampires. Now there was something that I never thought I would ever hear! :shock:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I swear!
There is no fairytale horror!
The few books/series I find...I wouldn't consider horror (Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry).

I find more of what I want in movies and that's just sad.

Nitatsu7

Post by Nitatsu7 »

I suppose I will put this on the list of things I need to write list, lol.

I do know a UK Publisher who is taking submissions for Fairytale Horror or Dark stories telling the other side of the tales at the moment. Perhaps this is a read you can look forward to?

http://www.tenebrisbooks.com/2014/07/ne ... anthology/

But we all have to wait before we can read it O_O
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Now we need a time machine so we can go get it...bring it back...and read it now!
I'm still really hoping it catches on soon in books...although movies tend to follow book trends instead of the other way around.
But there's always hope!
Until then I guess I'll have to be content with fae-ish movies.

LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Well, many the original stories about fairies aren't exactly kid-friendly...maybe the traditional tales would fit into the "fairytale horror" description. And I'm not just talking about unmodified Brothers Grimm tales, either. The "fairies" of the traditional Celtic people were anything but nice! They were greatly feared and respected. I hope that I'm being helpful! :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Nitatsu7

Post by Nitatsu7 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Well, many the original stories about fairies aren't exactly kid-friendly...maybe the traditional tales would fit into the "fairytale horror" description. And I'm not just talking about unmodified Brothers Grimm tales, either. The "fairies" of the traditional Celtic people were anything but nice! They were greatly feared and respected. I hope that I'm being helpful! :)

Very true. There are stories about a HUGE war. Hmmm, Danaans versus Fir Bolg if I recall right...
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Well, many the original stories about fairies aren't exactly kid-friendly...maybe the traditional tales would fit into the "fairytale horror" description. And I'm not just talking about unmodified Brothers Grimm tales, either. The "fairies" of the traditional Celtic people were anything but nice! They were greatly feared and respected. I hope that I'm being helpful! :)
This is exactly my point.
How can the original horror stories be so scarce in horror today?

Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt

Post by Bighuey »

Some of Arthur Machen's stories are about evil fairies and little nasty people. His stories were very realistic and chilling. Or for lighter stuff check out Andrew Langs books. They were written for kids mainly, but they are very entertaining for adults, too.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Nitatsu7

Post by Nitatsu7 »

I suppose this is why I write my Cedric series on older lores and history. It's frustrating to see the pop culture make this friendly. I aimed for medieval times or older, since these tend to be stories shared among men, not bedtime stories. Even the Grimm brother's had several dark tales like the one about the girl with golden hands. No one seems to stop and say "This is way off from the original telling."

In my research, I even managed to find a Romanian belief from the Dark ages that believed vampires were werewolf bitten victims who died and came back from the dead. But the manner theses "vampires" were described implied they were "zombies" similar to today's outlook.

Poor Graverobber, I will continue to keep an eye out for books fitting your thirst for reading >,<
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt

Post by Bighuey »

That bugs me too. Especially these modern vampire books about good guy vampires. Theres no such thing as a good guy vampire. Vampires are evil nasty soulless creatures who would rather murder and torture and suck your blood than do good deeds. Baloney.

A very good book about werewolf legends is The Book Of Werewolves by Sabine Baring Gould. He researched the old legends all the way back to Pliny, Herotodus, Virgil, up to the 19th century and true accounts of cannibalism, blood drinking, serial killers, people who thought they were wolves, etc. A very informative book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Nitatsu7

Post by Nitatsu7 »

Nice! Yea, my favorite Historical account involving werewolves is Romasanta... that mad was a victim of growing up in a Romanian belief system so superstitious that they convinced him of his curse. Crazy stuff, but makes for awesome writing ^,^

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”