Official Review: Unfinished Business by Wendy Hewlett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: Unfinished Business by Wendy Hewlett

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unfinished Business" by Wendy Hewlett.]
Book Cover for 2392
Share This Review

Official Review: Unfinished Business, by Wendy Hewlett

The first point that should be made absolutely clear is that Unfinished Business is the second book in a series starring Taylor Sinclair, a young woman with a great deal of trauma in her past, but who also has great reserves of inner strength and resourcefulness. The first book in the series, Saving Grace, introduces Taylor and several of her friends who feature prominently in Unfinished Business. It is absolutely crucial that readers complete Saving Grace before Unfinished Business. There is far too much explanatory information and character development in Saving Grace, and anybody who reads the sequel first will be absolutely lost and will be left confused in many places.

It is hard to summarize Unfinished Business without delving into the plot and characterization of Saving Grace (and thereby digging up tons of spoilers for the earlier book). As the book opens, Taylor has temporarily stepped aside from the job she worked so hard to earn in Saving Grace in order to go on a book tour, although her intangible scars from the horrors of her past are as painful as ever. Over the course of the book, Taylor relies on the friends she made in the previous volume and her relationship with the handsome Cail (who helped her overcome some of her emotional wounds in Saving Grace) continues to develop, although Taylor’s personal issues threaten to derail their romance. Chris and Kate, two of Taylor’s friends, deal with some bumps in their own relationship. Personally, I was not nearly as interested in the romantic subplots as I was in the gradual reveals about the shocking and tragic events in Taylor’s backstory.

The portions of the book hinting and Taylor’s troubled past and her road towards recovery and self-fulfillment are by far the best portions of the book. The subplots featuring supporting characters lack a comparable level of emotional resonance and power. The book would have benefited from streamlining and delving deeper into Taylor’s mind and soul. There are many intriguing references and clues indicating that there is much more to Taylor’s story than we know, and Taylor occasionally drops a bombshell about her life and that biographical point is then never elaborated upon, but Hewlett shouldn’t be faulted too much for this, since she is obviously setting up revelations for future installments in the series.

It would be interesting to know how many books Hewlett has planned for the Taylor Sinclair series. A trilogy is probably not enough, given the pace at which the details about Taylor’s past have been released over the first two books. It is unclear exactly where the trajectory of the series is heading, but it would make sense if the books were to focus heavily on both Taylor’s past and her future.

Due to the uneven pacing and sometimes hard to follow plot, I might give this book two stars, but I think that the characterization and development of Taylor Sinclair might warrant three stars. After consideration, I will lean towards generosity and…

I give this book three out of four stars.

Buy "Unfinished Business" on Amazon
Buy "Unfinished Business" on Barnes and Noble
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Sounds like a pretty interesting book! Good review! :)
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

Thanks for mentioning the prequel to this book and strongly recommending that that be read first! :)
Obiebookworm
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
AVK2913
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Blood and Gold
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by AVK2913 »

This book sounds pretty interesting, I think I'll add it to my reading list :)
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Hmm. This series does sound pretty interesting. However, your reluctant rating has also made me reluctant to start on 'Saving Grace'. Is this series simply about Taylor's past and her future and nothing else (is her past parr of a bigger, scarier picture, for example)? It does sound like its highly likely that there's going to be more books in this series, but I'm wondering about the plot that spurs the development and revealing of Taylor's traumatic past, and if it's worth reading for.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Sree Chinta
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sree-chinta.html

Post by Sree Chinta »

Very insightful review- I might read this book now.
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

Great review. I might be interested in reading the series.
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I'm a bit confused, I guess. What exactly is the story about? I understand the emotional side you've described, past revelations and relationship growth. But is that it? Is there action? A progressive storyline? Does the entire book center on her going on a book tour and having flashbacks?
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

This book does have a progressive storyline– the revelations about Taylor's backstory are at the heart of the book, but we also see mysteries investigated, romantic relationships pursued, and Taylor pursue careers in criminal justice and writing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”