The Quick by Lauren Owen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

The Quick by Lauren Owen

Post by amybo82 »

If you're going to read this book, don't read any reviews! My favorite part of the novel was going into it not knowing at all what to expect. The first big turn really took me by surprise, and I think it's part of what made me love the book so very much. I try not to give too much away in this review, but some of the other reviews I've read after reading the book just ruin the experience. But trust me, (this will probably be the only time I ever say this) learn as little as you can about the book before you read it!

I dare to say that this book rivals the likes of Dracula and Frankenstein in literary merit, complexity, and just darn good storytelling! The prologue starts with a sort of vague and mysterious description of this secret club. Then, we kind of forget about the club, and we read the story of a boy. We read about him growing up, moving away, discovering himself, and discovering his affections for his attractive roommate. They've fallen in love, and they're ready to get away. Enter the mysterious club. Watch as the now-man's life begins to unravel.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! It's beautifully written, and the story is creative and dynamic. If someone has just read a classic horror story, and they want something more modern but along the same lines, this would be the book to put into their hands. The language and writing is on the sophisticated side, so someone looking for a light, easy read might not get into it.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”