Official Review: Laundromurder by Racheal Bates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Official Review: Laundromurder by Racheal Bates

Post by jcheiser »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Laundromurder" by Racheal Bates.]
Book Cover for 2391
Share This Review

Laundromurder, by Racheal Bates, is a short novel about a girl named Colleen, whose boyfriend died in an accident at the steel mill where he worked, and the man responsible for his death has escaped from prison and is headed for Colleen’s town and, presumably, for her. She ends up locking her self in at the laundromat where she works because the killer is outside and already hunting people around her, such as her boss.

When I first started reading this book, I was thinking that it had been written for a young audience because of the simplicity of the language the structure. However, I was quickly shown that that was not the case because of the strong language and a few incredibly graphic scenes that are not appropriate for a younger audience. Throughout the story, I sort of felt as though it were a campfire tale because of the pace and style. Plus, it has that creep-out factor that campfire tales are famous for having. The twist at the end was interesting, but not necessarily completely unseen, either.

I think that Bates has great potential based on the vivid detail used in the goriest scenes. I think it Bates had expanded the story to include more details and drawn it out a bit more, not only would it have been more intriguing, but I think it would have been creepier and the twist at the end would have been better when it was finally presented. I also think that more detail and a longer story would have given the characters more time to develop, and for the relationships between those characters to develop (which would also enhance the twist at the end).

This book was certainly not technically perfect. There were some punctuation errors and vocabulary errors; for example, the word ‘speeded’ was used a few times when the word should have been ‘sped.’ I was also very confused about where this story was set and how old the characters were. I would have preferred to have more of those details so that I could be drawn into the story more deeply. I found myself often wondering if the protagonist was still in high school or had started college (it was mentioned she was 18 years old, but not much else) because there were pieces of information that seemed a bit out of place for a high school student as well as pieces of information that seemed out of place for someone just out of high school. Either way, having consistent information would have had more of a draw (for example, if the protagonist is made a high school student, altering a few of the details about her relationship to make sense for a high school student). I was also slightly off-put by the fact that the killer at the end was beheading people with a switchblade (but CSI has taught us that that would be a highly unlikely scenario).

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend this book, but it was somewhat interesting and this author certainly has the potential to write great stories with vivid detail.

Buy "Laundromurder" on Amazon
View hassle-free sample of "Laundromurder"
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. I'm a mature adult, but "incredibly graphic scenes" are not suitable for me, either. And simple language structure is not a flaw; it is a strong plus. So-called "college-level" writing, in which the author writes long incomprehensible sentences, is poor writing.

Complicated, sophisticated thoughts can be expressed in simple concise language by first-rate writers; Isaac Asimov made a career out of this.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html

Post by jcheiser »

Simple language structure is a strong plus - when used correctly. I agree with you that long, incomprehensible sentences are a sign of poor writing, and that's not what I expected or want to read. What I meant to get across was the fact that the reading level did not align with the maturity of the content. This was not simple language that concisely expressed complicated and sophisticated thoughts.

This is a topic well worth discussing - the difference between "good" simple language structure and "bad" simple language structure in writing.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

The premise sounds interesting. Does the book explain why the killer came after her? Seems odd that the killer would want to come after her after killing her boyfriend! I think you did a good job explaining some of the issues with the story. I also think it would be very difficult to behead someone with a switchblade!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”