Official Review: The Devil's Playground by Michael Reagan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Official Review: The Devil's Playground by Michael Reagan

Post by Paliden »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil's Playground" by Michael Reagan.]
Book Cover for 2359
Share This Review

Devil's Playground is an amazing read! I enjoyed it immensely. Allow me to elaborate.

Rob Ashley is a CIA field agent, who is deep undercover when he becomes acquainted with a man called Mr. O. Mr. O is in a very high position in the North Korean government. The two gentlemen share a meal and a conversation. Five years later, that conversation will come back to haunt Rob in ways that he never could have imagined.

The consequences of that initial conversation spark a worldwide change that will only grow as the ripples widen. And slowly, piece by piece, we begin to see the big picture. From there, this book gets complicated very fast. It spans four continents and brings in some major power players into the world domination game. This is not a book that you can read fast. You have to pay attention to who is working for whom and for what reasons.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would classify it as a political intrigue. The depth of research done for The Devil's Playground is really astonishing. The attention for detail is also amazing. This book is rich in many ways and meant to be slowly savored.

I took my time with this book and pored over it slowly. I greatly enjoyed the fact that the cultures of each country were represented clearly and lost nothing in translation. I cannot imagine the work that went into making that happen.

With all of that being said, I did have a major problem with the book. It needs to be edited! Big time! The sheer amount of misspellings and erroneous sentence structure is astonishing. I would highly recommend getting an editor, preferably an American one as some of the mistakes seem to be written from a foreign point of view. In example, when referring to money, to say US$500 is not how we would write it, hence it makes for a slightly confusing read.

Even with these glaring mistakes, I would still heartily recommend The Devil's Playground to anyone that enjoys a good political/spy intrigue. I was glad in one way and sad in another when it ended. I didn't realize that this is actually the second book in the series but it reads fine as a stand alone also. I really want to give this book 4 stars but because of the grammar errors, I am rating this 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Devil's Playground" on Amazon
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Wow! Thank you for this great review. So many books that we encounter in the online book club have the same problem, that they are well plotted and well written but need an editor.

And thank you for spelling "poring over" RIGHT!
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thank you! Yes, it seems to be the biggest problem with "new" books. Lol! You are very welcome!
HiremeNow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HiremeNow »

Sounds good at the moment.
Archie1791
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

Well, it was interesting, great review. I will read it. :)
Paliden

Post by Paliden »

Thanks! It was really good!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”