Official Review: Bulldog by Joe DeCicco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Official Review: Bulldog by Joe DeCicco

Post by randolphfine »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco.]
Book Cover for 2244
Share This Review

Mike Romano is a tough New York cop who doesn’t back down from anybody. He is relentless and does not know when to give up. He is a bulldog. That is the nickname his partner Alex gave him, and he certainly lives up to it.

It is the 1980’s, and the drug industry is booming in New York. Officer Mike Romano is a very ambitious cop wanting to earn the gold shield that comes along with the rank of Detective. Making detective is not easy. The New York Police Department does not just give away gold shields. They have to be earned, and therefore Mike accepts a job as a Narcotics Investigator as a gateway to the next level.

After an intense training session where newly promoted investigators learn about the drug trade and the products involved, Mike finally meets his new team in Manhattan South. He is partnered with a solid veteran named Alex Veranos, who immediately takes him in as a brother. The two partners quickly establish a close bond that is demonstrated in their success taking down the bad guys.

As a former New York Detective, author Joe DeCicco’s first hand knowledge of police work is demonstrated in the character of Mike Romano. Bulldog is a fascinating tale that looks into the day-to-day life of a divorced police detective trying to maintain a balance between his personal and professional life. When Mike begins his narcotics orientation at the Police Academy, the reader gets a glimpse of what an actual training session would look like. The instructors covered the history of drugs, the command structures of teams, and the process for obtaining a warrant.

As much as I enjoyed reading Bulldog, I was not completely in love with the main character. Officer Romano came off a little too arrogant. On several occasions he shows a lack of respect to superior officers, both the good ones and the bad. When confrontations occurred, he at times seemed flippant and overly cocky. I wanted to root for him, because he was one of the good guys.

Greater depth into Romano’s background would have made some of the side stories less confusing. One of his friends was a Mafia man named Rocco Banducci. They may have grown up together, but their tie together needed a deeper explanation. In the beginning of the book, Mike’s connection to the Mafia makes it seem as if he is working for both sides. Later in the book, he enlists the help of Rocco to take care of a warehouse known for trafficking drugs when the proper police channels were not enough. Mike even receives a generous wedding gift from Rocco. The author presents an interesting dichotomy. Is Mike Romano, the hero of this book, corruptible, or is the Mafia not really that bad?

I gave Bulldog by Joe DeCicco 3 out of 4 stars. This was a good story that could have used a little more polish and depth. I look forward to reading more of the Mike Romano tales.

Buy "Bulldog" on Amazon
joedecicco
Currently Reading: Connected
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by joedecicco »

Thanks for the positive review. My may be right that I needed further explanation of the relationship with Banducci. I didn't elaborate on it because it is explained in prior novels in the series. I thought that it would be considered as weak filler. Perhaps you will be curious enough to read the others.

Thanks again.
Joe DeCicco
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

Usually, when I read a novels in a series one right after the other, the redundancy of information is tedious. However, it is very helpful to the reader as a refresher when they are picking it up in the middle of the series or waiting a long time in between books.

I look forward to reading the other books in the series. Thank you,
Randolph Fine
joedecicco
Currently Reading: Connected
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by joedecicco »

I hope you enjoy them..

Joe DeCicco

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”