Official Review: Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Official Review: Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by sybil1reader »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder" by Corky Reed-Watt.]
Book Cover for 2229
Share This Review

Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder, by Corky Reed-Watt is an interesting and rather ironic story about divorcee and mother of three Beverly. Beverly has allowed the bitterness of her divorce to put her life, both personal and professional, into a kind of monotonous and depressing mess. You see, Beverly had it in her mind that her marriage was going to last forever, her children were going to be polite and perfect, and all she had to do was wake up to this wonderful fairy tale each morning. Nothing is perfect and most of the time people are not who they seem to be. This is the story of how Beverley learned these lessons.

Gerry’s Socks & Shoes is the place of Beverly’s employment. It is not the most exciting job and creativity is not encouraged. There is the requisite amount of office gossip, affairs, women who cannot stand each other, and in this case, murder. The first dead body is found in the lady’s bathroom with her jewelry missing. Another body follows, as well as several attempts on the lives of Beverly and another female co-worker. Who is the murderer and what is the motive? Better yet, who can Beverly trust?

Join in the adventure as the plot unfolds and strange things begin to happen. Beverly, the typical burned out single mother, tries to keep herself alive and her self-absorbed and rather rude children safe. Everybody is pointing the finger at everybody else (ex-female lovers included), so from one minute to the next the author certainly succeeded in making me scratch my head. To make things even worse, there is a club of women who decide to change jewelry from past relationships into something else. Is there a connection between the women in this club and the missing jewelry from the dead women?

Hope, trust, and the chance at that elusive fairy tale life give Beverly another chance as a special man offers his support and love during this strange time of her life. Will her reluctance to share and her distrust of men in general drive away this potential soul mate or will it be her dangerous situation that drives him away? She finds an ally in an unexpected co-worker and surprising support from her kids just when it seems that her life is about to end without her having a clue as to why anyone would want or need to hurt her.

Overall this was a somewhat enjoyable read. I got a little confused at one point because there were so many potential suspects running around but by then I kept reading because I wanted to know the who and the why of things. This story has murder, humor, love and it also addresses the subject of lesbianism. Read it and you will get a feeling for the old saying that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. I give this three out of four because I would have liked to see a little more meat to the story. I recommend it as a pretty good afternoon read.

Buy "Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder" on Amazon
Buy "Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder" on Barnes and Noble
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

:D Thanks for the review!
sybil1reader

Post by sybil1reader »

You are more than welcome!!
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Sounds pretty interesting!
sybil1reader

Post by sybil1reader »

Give it a try. I'm sure you will be glad that you did!
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

Hi Trisha. I read your quote by George R. R. Martin and thought to myself, I bet she has not lived the "Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder" life, yet! ;o) Thanks for your interest in my book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”