Official Review: The Codex file by Miles Etherton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: The Codex file by Miles Etherton

Post by Airam Velarde »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Codex file" by Miles Etherton.]
Book Cover for 2333
Share This Review

It is the technological era. Everyone on the globe is interconnected and everything is available to you by just a gentle tap of your finger on a screen. Would you say you feel empowered? Safe? Be prepared to question your own security when you read the gripping truth that The Codex File has laid before you. In this chilling debut novel by author Miles Etherton, nothing is as it seems. What starts as a murder mystery, soon engulfs the reader in a web of crime, betrayal, and government conspiracies.

Michael Robertson has just laid eyes on a most horrific scene. His wife’s lifeless body lying on their bed, bound and gagged. The bed sheets stained crimson with her blood. This dreadful nightmare soon worsens as he discover his eight year old daughter has also been brutally murdered. Who could have done this? After 18 months in a care home battling the demons conjured up by this horrific event, Michael emerges with a set purpose. To find the one responsible for the deaths of his family and bring him to justice. However, he soon finds that everything has changed while he was away. The internet has been banned in the UK, and in its place is a new network, UKCitizensNet. While piecing together the events of his own life, he discovers the startling connection between this new network and his wife. Aided by a team of four hackers opposed to UKCitizensNet, Michael seeks to uncover the truth. This leads him to unearth a sinister plot made possible by the new cyber reform and that sits right at the heart of the government. What exactly lies behind the classified project known as CODEX?

I really enjoyed reading The Codex File, it is a thrilling novel that demands your attention right from the first chapter and does not relinquish it until the very end. It has a very intricate plot that centers upon web technologies. However, you do not need to be a connoisseur in order to fully appreciate this novel. Etherton effortlessly and fully creates this world, all the while making it easy for the reader to follow. Its many references to such technologies will surely make the reading enjoyable for any cyber enthusiast.

The characters in this book I found to be very interesting. The depth of each character is well constructed and their emotions, such as their grief or anger, are such that the reader can relate to. The development in our protagonist, Michael, is most noticeable. We meet him when he is at his weakest. Everything in his life that was of value has been taken from him. He is in constant battle with his grief and the nightmares that won’t leave him. Michael is struggling through many things, even a psychological war that was waged against him. From there we see him evolve into a stronger more vengeful man, one whose anger is more prominent. He no longer is afraid and is willing to put himself at risk all for the sake of his cause. His character was given even more depth by the glimpses given into his past. Flashbacks of what his life was like with his family before tragedy struck. Other characters were also given timely flashbacks that were of help in understanding their present actions and reiterated each characters value to the plot.

Apart from its character depth and intricate plot, The Codex File, creates a palpable feeling of suspense throughout. I was not able to easily put this book down, and with every twist, my desire to know more grew. I honestly feel this books reads like an action movie. It has very descriptive action sequences that are easy to follow and that will surely give the reader a rush of adrenaline. For this reason, do not expect to be sitting quietly while reading this novel! Of course, it also has its share of gore and sequences that are chilling, to say the least. All of this leading to a most exceptional ending that will leave you wanting more.

The Codex File is a novel that I greatly enjoyed reading. If you like books filled with twists and heart-pounding sequences, all the while having a well constructed story line and character depth, then I would highly recommend this book. I will surely be waiting for Etherton’s next novel. I give The Codex File 4 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Codex file" on Amazon
Buy "The Codex file" on Barnes and Noble
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
AVK2913
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Blood and Gold
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by AVK2913 »

Oh I just love books like this! This particular one sounds very interesting, *adds to reading list*
Thanks for the great review! :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”