Official Review: Liar's Paradise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Liar's Paradise

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Liar's Paradise" by Steven Hartman, Eddrick Bedford.]
Book Cover for 2328
Share This Review

"Liar's Paradise" is the first installment of the Handled series and based on the characters Lex Tennessee and the Cadet by Ellis Ray III. The book falls under the superhero / super-powered fiction category, though it isn't a comic book mind you.

Superheroes have never really worked for me in books till now. I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading the book and found out I enjoyed it from the first page to the last. As you know superheroes can be characterized as larger than life protagonists and antagonists. In this book the authors managed to break out of the mold and to introduce more human superheroes, with flaws and all, which don't look out of place amid the mere mortals.

Although the book is about super heroes, the main protagonist is a mortal, a nice break from the usual pulp fiction. Take one superhero runs amok, add one reformed criminal, mix it with a recent tragedy and a passionate desire for revenge and you get one heck of a story.

Step up into a world abound with superheroes, supervillains and mortals. In Liar's Paradise, superheroes are a fact of life. They came from out of space and are obligated to help humanity and reduce crime. The Cadet is one of those icons: a cocky, conceited, over-confidence dude. In contrast to his peers, the Cadet seeks glory (and other perks besides) in return for his voluntary assistance.

Meet Lex Tennessee, a reformed criminal who cleaned up his act and now is a law abiding citizen. Lex is happily married to Peggy, or so he thought, till the day the Cadet entered the picture. The cadet sets his sights on Peggy and goes berserk when she turns him down. The cadet is supposed to be one of the good ones, but he succumbed to his dark side. Although he is obligated to keep all mortals safe and sound, he fails to do that on more than one occasion. When the number of freak accidents under his shift grows up in an alarming rate, people shrug it aside. Well, all people except our Lex. When Peggy becomes one of those statics, Lex is forced into an action. Peggy is killed in a freak accident and Lex starts to suspects that the Cadet is responsible for her untimely death. Lex starts to nose around and to shake some skeletons out of the closet in the process. He vows to avenge his wife's death by all means. Our mortal hero must figure out how to overcome odds and put a stop to a superhero that has forsaken his duty.

Though short and somewhat a predictable story, it is well written and keeps one captivated. The story flows real well and once this book gets started, it turns into a fast paced ride that you do not want to get off. The authors present a believable portrayal of characters and world where superheroes roam freely. I would love to read more of Lex and his antics. It may not be a great literature at that, but it is still an easy and enjoyable read and just what the doctor ordered in our mad times. I really enjoyed the story and found it a great read, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you like an adventure, good vs. evil conflict, superheroes and everything that entails, this is the book for you. Recommended of course!

Buy "Liar's Paradise" on Amazon
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”