Official Review: The Blind Iranian Long Jumper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Official Review: The Blind Iranian Long Jumper

Post by Timea »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blind Iranian Long Jumper" by Clive Bennett.]
Book Cover for 2107
Share This Review

The Blind Iranian Long Jumper by Clive Bennett is like a well tied knot, where several pieces of rope intersect and intertwine. In the beginning the life paths of the characters seem to be flowing chaotically and ignorant to each other, but Clive Bennett masterfully units them. This complex murder mystery thriller fills the reader with shivers of anticipation from start to end.

As the title suggests, one of the main characters is a blind Iranian long jumper. Amir works for the British Government but in his free time he trains for the Olympics. He might be blind, but his other senses are very sharp and he has heightened observational skills. So, he is a valuable agent both on the field and off.

Grace is one of the leading scientists in her field, and she strives to finally put an end to world hunger. Actually she makes her goal tangible and together with her team, they accomplish astonishing results. The theories they put forward seem viable and intriguing and could be extrapolated from this fictional world. After an assault, Grace loses her sight in one eye and she struggles to accept her condition. This is when her doctor intervenes and introduces her to someone who has an even more severe eye condition, but learned to accept it and to be a productive member of society. However, will his story impress Grace and lead her out of the maze of self-pity she got lost in?

Clive Bennett introduced me through The Blind Iranian Long Jumper to the Pearly Kings and Queens. Bringing such a detail to the book added a lot more credibility to the story. Actually the author himself is a Pearly King and his intimate knowledge of their society transpires through the pages. Their contagious spirit and embellished clothing brought a note of eccentricity and spice to the novel. The cockney rhyming slang was another favorite detail, I could not get enough of it!

Each character has his own pattern carefully woven on their life string. Clive Bennett succeeded in not only outlining a diverse bunch of people, but also to harmoniously bring them together and he leads the reader from a chaotic start to a well tied finish. But in between the first and the last page there lies a bundle of suspense. You never know what will happen next and you sink into the story with a gripping anticipation. The only thing that bothered me slightly, was that the characters seemed to all get a long almost too naturally. They effortlessly formed close and powerful bonds. This to me seemed hard to believe, and I stumbled over this generalization of ease in socializing as I read the novel.

All in all, I give The Blind Iranian Long Jumper 4 out of 4 stars as it turned out to be a gripping suspense novel, with a cherry of grotesque on top (which I especially savored). The author’s initiative to tap into his surroundings for inspiration paid off, as the characters and contextual details added lively colors to the picture.

Buy "The Blind Iranian Long Jumper" on Amazon
Pearly+Greenwich
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pearly+Greenwich »

Thanks to Timea for a positive and refreshing review of my first novel. She has understood completely the essence of the Pearlies and I am just over the moon with her honesty.
Timea
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>

Post by Timea »

Thank you, it has been a pleasure to read your novel. I hope that a lot of people will pick up your book, it deserves a lot of readers.

P.S. All the best to the Pearlies!
Pearly+Greenwich

Thanks Timea, me old china.
(China plate-mate (friend)
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

This sounds like a really good story. Thanks Timea.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Timea

Post by Timea »

Thank you :) it is an excellent one ;)
Pearly+Greenwich

Timea, if you are around I have submitted another book which has not been picked up yet. The summer of the pearl is the title, with a lot more Cockney rhyming slang !
Regards Clive Bennett
Timea

Post by Timea »

Hi, I looked for the book yesterday and today as well, but I can't see it. Maybe it is because of my level restriction, I see the posted books with a bit of delay. Or maybe someone else took it, in that case I bet they grabbed a great book and I hope that they will enjoy it. In any case, I will keep an eye out for it!

All the best!

Timea

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”