Official Review: Nightcrawler by John Reinhard Dizon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Official Review: Nightcrawler by John Reinhard Dizon

Post by Darling_Reads »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nightcrawler" by John Reinhard Dizon.]
Book Cover for 1680
Share This Review

“Nightcrawler II” by John Dizon is a suspenseful crime thrillerl that takes place in the present in New York City. Sabrina Brooks, Bree, is a rich girl that is in charge of her father’s chemical company. Bree’s initially wanted to go into law enforcement but after her father’s death she inherited Brooks Chemical Company. She chose to use her education in Chemistry and her interest in law enforcement to become a vigilante to save her city. She calls herself the Nightcrawler Hoyt Wexford is Bree’s fiancé. He is a New York Police Department detective. Hoyt is working with his partner Alex to break up the Russian and Chechen mobs in New York. Hoyt rescued Bree from the Reaper learned her identity as the Nightcrawler. The two of them brought down the Octagon and prevented a chemical attack on NYC. Now Bree has been given the chance to work with Russia on a groundbreaking AIDS/HIV drug.

Bree’s company will be conducting the testing on the new AID’s drugs. Benny Terrazas is the owner of Superfecta Manufacturing Company. Benny lost his wife to cancer. Between medical bills and gambling debt he finds himself in a tight spot with some loan sharks. These Russians aren’t playing around with Benny and when they come for their money they give him no choice but to set up his manufacturing company as a front for producing the AID’s drugs. This Russian drug ring called the Tryzub isn’t there just for AID’s research. Something else is going on behind the scenes and Benny doesn’t like being a part of an international drug scheme. Benny turns to Bree for help because she is also a part of the Russian AID’s drug development. Bree has to take on being the Nightcrawler again.

I enjoyed this book because it is very suspenseful. Bree is a fun butt-kicking heroine and it is nice to see a female in this type of vigilante lead for a change. The author did a good job of pulling you into the story and making you want to keep turning the pages. Once you start reading it you want to find out what is happening to Bree and keep up with her perseverance. This exciting book throws you guessing the whole time and it really makes you not want to put it down.

The author hit many great themes in this book such as medical research, a bit of romance, action, suspense, and putting the safety of the whole before one. The book is realistic and the story has a good flow. I thought it was well developed and a great page turner. The characters were believable. There are many times that I read novels that have characters that are heroes/heroines that are put into realistic situations but the characters are unrealistic. I appreciate the well formed characters strengthening the story.

Overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the book. It was entertaining. I did not read the first book in the Nightcrawler series but the author explained enough of the back story for you to know what happened with the characters in the previous book. Readers who enjoy a strong female lead and crime thrillers will enjoy this novel. If you like books like James Patterson's Women's Murder Club this is a good book for you to read.

Buy "Nightcrawler" on Amazon
Buy "Nightcrawler" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
spoiler2010
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: The Castle by Franz Kafka
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by spoiler2010 »

Thanks for an in-depth review!
pauljeday