The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cnuno06
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty

Post by cnuno06 »

Usually I'm more into reading young adult books than other types but this book seemed an interesting read by the title.

I can say that The Husband's Secret was not a disappointment. I did not expect to get caught p in a book and not wanting to put it down. This book is the epitome of a mystery and allows you to wonder at the beginning what the secret is and why would he be keeping it. It also makes you wonder how many people are involved in this so called secret this person is keeping.

Once I finished reading this book I must say I was in love with it. It is definitely a good read most people specifically women will enjoy. I highly recommend it.

Rate it a 5/5
Shooting-Star
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shooting-star.html

Post by Shooting-Star »

I have to agree with you here, the genre is not one that I read all too often, but my sister let me borrow it when I went on holiday last week. I also wasn't disappointed, and was surprised how quickly I came to the end. Liane keeps the reader hooked right until the end with twists in the plot, and I thought the way she ended it was well done.
milyjohnson37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milyjohnson37.html

Post by milyjohnson37 »

I love books like these so I would be very interested in it. I will definitely check out this book because I'm curious as to what the husband's secret is. :)
Book_lover_

Post by Book_lover_ »

I stumbled across Liane's books by accident. This is one of many I have read. Liane is that kind of author that you find yourself not even bothering to guess what twist will come, or what the ending will be. "The Husband's Secret" was cleverly written. It puts the perfect family stereotype into real world terms. What would this type of family do ... if? Through all of Liane's books that I have read, I have come to love and appreciate her knack for laying out the life consequences of so many by the result of one small act.
jlbolin0830
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbolin0830.html

Post by jlbolin0830 »

I have this book on my Amazon wishlist.... thank you for this review I will make sure I get it :)
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

My mum recommended me this book, and as she couldn't put it down and finished it within a few days, I knew it would be a good book and I was excited to read it. Although I was recommended it and I didn't pick it up at a bookshop myself, I think I would have done because I absolutely love the front cover of this book (I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but you can appreciated pretty ones can't you!). The blurb is also very intriguing, as it says that Cecilia, a mother, finds a letter that her husband wrote, and it is 'to be opened on the event of my death', and it contains a huge secret that changes her life. I was desperate to find out what it was!

The first chapter is when Cecilia finds the letter, and she is running through the pros and cons of whether to open it and she decides not to. However, the next chapter, and the chapter following, are two completely different scenarios and I got a bit confused. At one point it was talking about Cecilia, then next it was talking about Tess being told her husband and her cousin were in love, and then it was talking about a woman who had lost her daughter 28 years ago! This did confuse me, but I knew they would all end up making sense and would be connected some way, which they were. After I had got over this brief confusion, I did no longer feel confused as the whole book is written in 3rd person so you understand fully who's viewpoint you are reading. I think it takes a very skilled author to write in such a complicated way (with three viewpoints) but in a way where the reader has a clear understanding of what is happening.

I loved how each different character's situation was just as exciting and intense as the next. When each chapter ended and the viewpoint changed, I always felt disappointed as I was desperate to find out what happened next! However as soon as the next chapter began I became engrossed in that situation and the same thing would happened at the end of that chapter!

Cecilia eventually did decide to open the letter and what was inside was such a shock and not expected at all, but it connected her with another character in the book. Following this was Cecilia's trauma about knowing this secret, despite the fact that her husband John-Paul was still alive (so she shouldn't have opened the letter really) and how she struggled with knowing what the right thing to do was; to do the right thing but with no benefits, or to keep quiet and carry on for the sake of her daughters?
Tess had immediately moved to Sydney (from Melbourne) to be with her recently injured mother after hearing that her husband Will had 'fallen in love' with her cousin and best friend Felicity. I never liked Felicity throughout the book because of what she did to Tess, but apart from the beginning and a surprise appearance near the end you didn't hear from her that much!
Rachel's daughter Janie was strangled to death 28 years ago when she was just 17, and no murderer was found. Rachel believes that it was Connor Whitby, a teacher at the school she is secretary of after she finds a video recording of him and Janie when he, at the end of the tape, is so furious and seemingly violent. Rachel is also going through the struggle of losing her beloved grandson as her son and his wife are planning on moving to New York, so she has lost all her family.
There is a traumatic event at the end of the novel that brings all the characters together in a sense, and it is clear that 'if suchabody hadn't done this' or 'if suchabody hadn't done that' then this accident wouldn't have happened.
My favourite chapter of the entire boko is probably the epilogue. This is so clever, and it cleared up everything in the book but also gave more information that would not have been realised at all in the novel. The epilogue began with "there are so many secrets about our lives we'll never know", and the whole chapter is "------- will never know" and "------ will never know" etc. This is such a sad part and you wish it would have happened differently, but at other points you wish it hadn't.

I cannot recommend this book enough. There was no point where I felt I could put the book down as none of it was boring, and I finished it within a few days. It is a very suitable length, around 400 pages, but I did feel sad when it ended! There were surprises everywhere, and you got hooked on each person's story and felt the emotions you felt. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a romantic but traumatic and sad type of novel. I think I'll read it again!

Thank you for reading my review.

By Gemma Robinson
jovanovi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovanovi.html

Post by jovanovi »

What fun and juicy book! The characters involved were engaging and fun. The OMG moment had me calling my book club members and asking it they got there yet. It was the absolutely right book to have on my vacation!
MidnightAngel16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightangel16.html

Post by MidnightAngel16 »

My friend just recommended this book to me and I downloaded a sample on Kindle but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I will definitely be pulling it to the top of my 'to read' list.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Personally I can't wait to read her latest book "Big Little Lies" set in a beachside community when a parent dies at a school event. Was it murder?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
helenWall
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: THE PACT
Currently Reading: SARAHS KEY
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helenwall.html
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by helenWall »

The Husbands Secret - Liane Moriarty

I love how she draws you in right from the beginning of the book, asking a question of ourselves that is hard to answer until you are in that place. Would I have opened the envelope...absolutely. Moriaty has a wonderful sense of humour that I enjoy in her story's. She has a way of making you feel as though you are part of the scene she is creating. Great book!!
lilbitty87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilbitty87.html

Post by lilbitty87 »

I love books, but one of my many problems is if the book does not grab my attention in a certain amount of time I will not keep reading. This book has caught my attention just by the title. This was such a great title for a book. Many married women want to know what the secret is. Im sure this book will be great. I dont care who you are we all love a good secret, so I am adding this to the list of books im going to read.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This has been popular with local book clubs, and from reading the reviews here, I can see why! It sounds very interesting, and I am going to have to put it on my to-read list! Judging from your reviews, it sounds like readers who liked Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl would like this book.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
k-bish

Post by k-bish »

:D The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty was one of the books I read on vacation this summer (followed by Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Yep, I was looking at my husband kinda funny that week) and the one thing I really loved about this book is how Moriarty tied all the loose ends together. In one way or another the lives of each of the characters touched and it was interesting how she braided them all together into an ending that was tight and complete. No loose threads. Good read.
autumnbharris

Post by autumnbharris »

I was so thrown off by the title, but it got amazing reviews, and everyone kept raving about it. I was also reluctant to read it because it wasn't out on paperback, so I would have to shell out a pretty penny for the hardcover. I ended up loving this book! I couldn't put it down. I read it in one day. Definitely recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read it, or who is thrown off by the title like I was. You won't regret it!
k-bish

Post by k-bish »

A friend of mine highly recommends What Alice Forgot by Moriarty. She says it's one you can't put down. It's on my ever growing list.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”