Official Review: Killing Matt Cooper by John Cassian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Esrever
Favorite Author: Mark Z. Danielewski
Currently Reading: January 6th and the Millenial Horde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esrever.html
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
fav_author_id: 2642

Official Review: Killing Matt Cooper by John Cassian

Post by Esrever »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian.]
Book Cover for 2036
Share This Review

After careful consideration, and several rereading’s I’m posting a review of Killing Matt Cooper by John Cassian. This book along with several others that make up the “Killing” series have all been self published by Cassian.

Ok, now that that’s out of the way, Killing Matt Cooper is a first person perspective fiction from the vantage point of a serial killer. This novella could be considered a thriller but more resembles crime or dark romance. This book deals with revenge, lust, true love, and attachment.

Killing Matt Cooper is about an employee of FEMA, (we’ll call him Sam Knight) is triggered by the love of his life cheating on him into killing other women in a compromised marriage/love life. He has carefully maintained relationships with each of his victims in order to know of their whereabouts meanwhile keeping up on his day job working as a FEMA Crises Management “Fixer”. Knight does his best to maintain his cover, a decent yet eccentric neighbor, a kind but arrogant co-worker, a detached yet almost careful lover. All of these alibi’s add up to a man just waiting for the thrill of the hunt. Knight pines for his lost Love and spits daggers at her husband, Matt Cooper. Knight finds his opponent in none other than Kathleen Underwood, Special Agent of the FBI who has been tasked with tracking down Knight (aka The Greek Death) and will stop at nothing to insure she has her man.

Now as for my reaction to the book? First off, I’ll give Cassian a pass simply for the fact that this book is so short. Second, he’s decided to work this into a series without fleshing out the details in this book. I have not read the others so maybe he’s worked out the kinks, but I am only reviewing this book as it stands separate. Cassian has somehow written a book about an emotionless soulless serial killer with the actual book being emotionless soulless and ultimately boring. Sad to say, we never get to know any juicy tidbits about Knight’s life never mind his real name! I will give him kudos for how he kills his victims, but that’s about it. For someone that directly states that we get to know how a serial killer operates, we get practically nothing about Knight’s methods. How does he find his victims? What triggered him into becoming a serial killer in the first place? Why use a method of death that distances you from being up close and personal? The whole point of all the people he’s killed is because of an obsession to a girl he once loved and the only emotion we get from the main character is either when he’s interrupted from his thoughts or just whenever he’s in his own head. For the rest of the book, we, the readers slog through something akin to a strained love letter written by an angst-ridden 16 year old.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars and even that is being generous. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it, just that Cassian’s creation was pronounced dead on arrival.

Buy "Killing Matt Cooper" on Amazon
“There's no better way to overpower a trickle of doubt than with a flood of naked truth.”
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”