Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Colbycomp22
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colbycomp22.html

Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Post by Colbycomp22 »

I first read this when I was quite a bit younger but I still love it the same as I did back then! This holds up to be one of my favorite books from my childhood.

Neil Gaiman has a true talent with writing and especially with suspense. He writes in such a way that it truly chills you and brings back any childhood nightmares you might have had.

Coraline was truly an extraordinary main character to take you through this chilling tale. She is strong, brave, and has immense courage. I wondered how a child/preteen could go through something like what happens in this book.

There is some really creepy images within this novel and I question whether a child should read this because it is quite scary. I love the transformation of "the other mother" from a seemingly nice and warm character with a creepy edge to a full-fledged crazy and terrifying character.

I could say a million great things about this novel but I will end it here saying that is a terrifying thriller that will keep you thoroughly entertained. This novel will forever be remembered by me as one of my favorites.

Neil Gaiman's ,<u>Coraline</u>, is a truly chilling and atmospheric book that will keep readers entertained and chilled to the bone.
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

Never have I ever read a book that creeped me out as much as Coraline did- and I loved every second of it.

British author Neil Gaiman’s 2002 novella, Coraline, is one of a kind. It’s garnered various accolades over the years, and has been made into an Academy Award-nominated movie, a musical, a graphic novel, and a video game. So why all the hype?

Well, let me tell you- if you happen to read some reviews for this book, you might have the same reaction as I did before I actually read the book itself. All the reviews I came across touted Coraline as the creepiest book ever, something that gave its readers nightmares, so on and so forth. So when I decided I was going to sit down and read this thing, I was dubious as to whether or not it would actually be as scary as all that.

It was.

Coraline is a little girl who lives in a house with her loving parents. In the flat above them is a weird old man, and in the flat below them are two weird old women. There is an empty flat next door, connected to the Jones’ flat by an old door in the family’s drawing room. Coraline’s mother, one day, in order to appease Coraline’s voracious curiosity, unlocks the door to show her daughter that there’s nothing behind it but a brick wall.

Unsatisfied, Coraline later steals the key from her mother and unlocks the door herself. A passageway reveals itself behind the door, and from there, Coraline’s adventure- or, perhaps, misadventure- begins.

Distorted and disturbing versions of Coraline’s parents- called her “other mother” and “other father”- greet the girl. They want her to stay. So much so, in fact, that they steal away her real parents. The rest of the book is a fight between this kick-ass little girl and these terrifying otherworldly creatures, to rescue not only Coraline’s parents, but the souls of other children that have become entrapped in this alternate reality.

Now. Do I recommend this book to others? Yes, most definitely. It’s a quick read, easy and enjoyable. It’s not so scary so as to turn some readers off to the idea of it, but it’s also not exactly a walk in the park. If you’re a fan of Halloween, of horror, or- hell-, a fan of Tim Burton-type-stories, Coraline is for you. But beware of those “bumps in the night” after reading. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Rating: 5/5
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I have yet to read the book, but I have watched the movie. I know, Im one of those people. It was amazing so I know the book :) will be even better.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I love Neil Gaiman but I have never seen or watched Coraline. Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”