New Agatha Christie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smokey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey.html

New Agatha Christie

Post by Smokey »

I read that "The Monogram Murders" by Sophie Hannah is coming out in September. It is supposed to be a really good imitation of an Agatha Christie mystery. I like Hannah's books. What do you think? Can this be pulled off by Hannah?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love Agatha Christie's books! I added that book to my wish list. I hope Sophie Hannah will pull this off.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

gali wrote:I love Agatha Christie's books! I added that book to my wish list. I hope Sophie Hannah will pull this off.
I hope she'll pull this off, too. I've added it to my wish list as well. (And I'm pretty excited!)
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Not really familiar with Hannah's fiction (I've read some of her poetry), but I don't see why she shouldn't pull it off. As good as Christie was at what she did, I don't think she's inimitable.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

David Dawson wrote:Not really familiar with Hannah's fiction (I've read some of her poetry), but I don't see why she shouldn't pull it off. As good as Christie was at what she did, I don't think she's inimitable.
Hannah's fiction is the kind that's deceptive, somewhat like Tana French.

I think you're right about Christie, but I think it is difficult to capture the aura of an era the way someone who lives in the era can do without the benefit (or influence) of hindsight.
gali

Post by gali »

David Dawson wrote:Not really familiar with Hannah's fiction (I've read some of her poetry), but I don't see why she shouldn't pull it off. As good as Christie was at what she did, I don't think she's inimitable.
Christie is considered the queen of crime and it will be difficult to fill her shoes. She has a unique style of writing and humor to boot which I didn't encounter in other books. YES, I am a big fan of her. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html

Post by David Dawson »

gali wrote:
Christie is considered the queen of crime and it will be difficult to fill her shoes. She has a unique style of writing and humor to boot which I didn't encounter in other books. YES, I am a big fan of her. :wink:
Oh, I don't disagree. But still genre fiction (to indulge in a snobbery that I often complain about), and as such I think something that a good writer would be able to capture.
gali

Post by gali »

David Dawson wrote:
gali wrote:
Oh, I don't disagree. But still genre fiction (to indulge in a snobbery that I often complain about), and as such I think something that a good writer would be able to capture.
It depends on the author... :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

David Dawson wrote:
gali wrote:
True. Some of the WWI series (and just after WWI) are very good, for example. I really love Charles Todd's books.
TheOnionFlower

Post by TheOnionFlower »

I devoured all of Agatha Christie's books as a teenager. I still consider them my comfort books and when I have nothing else to read or am looking for a little comfort I will pick one up every year or so, hoping I've forgotten who the murderer is! I was disappointed by Black Coffee, which was adapted by Charles Osborne. Let's hope this new novel is all it's hyped to be.
UmaM
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben -Now
Favorite Book: Murder in Mespotomia
Currently Reading: The Gospel of Judas Iscariot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umam.html

Post by UmaM »

I have been a keen addict of Agatha Christie , I think every Mystery aficionado would consider Christie to be the pole star of mystery..lets See whether Hannah manages to do a Christie.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”