Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn *minor spoilers*

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn *minor spoilers*

Post by melrose226 »

When I first started reading this book, I seriously considered not finishing it. It was gritty in a gratuitous, overly disgusting sort of way, and the narrator was unlikable, not relatable, and generally rather annoying. I wasn't drawn in by the plot or the writing style. Still, I forced myself to persevere because I don't like giving up on books when I can avoid it, and because I wanted to know what the outcome was, and because I was hoping it would get better.

I'm really glad I kept reading.

Somewhere around halfway through, this novel picked up speed. I finally understood why the narrator, who was previously just on my nerves, acted the way she did, and I finally began to feel for her as a human being, even while I was disgusted by her actions, decisions, and way of thinking. The gratuitous grittiness began to seem less gratuitous and more necessary for the themes and the plot, and I found myself genuinely enjoying the story. It wasn't the most captivating mystery I've ever read, and to be perfectly honest I didn't care nearly enough about the outcome, but it was an entertaining story nonetheless.

As for the actual whodunit part, I will admit that I was caught by surprise by the twist at the end. Admittedly, I should probably have seen it coming from a few hundred miles away, but for better or worse I did not, so I was impressed by Flynn's ability to divert my attention long enough to pull off a "shocking" finale. I was disappointed in the ending for some other reasons, but in a way the general cynicism mixed with cautious hope feeling that you get from the final pages of the epilogue seems to fit the narrator very well, and the ending makes sense in the larger framework of the book.

Overall, I wouldn't jump up and down and tell you that you absolutely must read this book, but I would recommend checking it out if it sounds like something you might be into and if you don't mind hanging on through a somewhat rocky start.

NOTE: Absolutely positively do not read if you are under the age of 18 or so or if you like to avoid mildly graphic sexual references and graphic references to violence.

NOTE #2: This one is a slight spoiler but I feel it's a necessary warning: If you are at all affected by cutting/the graphic discussion of cutting, or if you feel as though you might be triggered in some way by such references, please please please do not read.

Rating: 3.5 stars
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and I quite enjoyed it, this looks like a good book too :)
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html

Post by melrose226 »

Barabas_T wrote:I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and I quite enjoyed it, this looks like a good book too :)
I keep meaning to read Gone Girl and her other novel, Dark Places! If you already enjoy her style I would definitely advocate checking this one out!
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html

Post by Timea »

melrose226 wrote:
Barabas_T wrote:I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and I quite enjoyed it, this looks like a good book too :)
I keep meaning to read Gone Girl and her other novel, Dark Places! If you already enjoy her style I would definitely advocate checking this one out!
I do, she has a fresh style and she is very manipulative with the reader, I quite enjoy that :)
awilliams812
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awilliams812 »

I read Gone Girl, and I liked it so much that I want to read every book she's written! I was disappointed to learn that there are only three, but I read Sharp Objects and now I'm on Dark Places. The ending of Sharp Objects kind of made me sad. I'm reading Dark Places now, and can't wait to see how it ends!
aysha_yh

Post by aysha_yh »

I've read all three of her books and can't wait until she writes more! Gone Girl was my favourite but I still really enjoyed the others, she knows how to layer a story to make it a gripping read.
jamiegilt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamiegilt.html

Post by jamiegilt »

Gone Girl was so great! It had me on a roller coaster ride and up until 4AM to finish it! I don't think I've ever read a book that had me both love and hate two characters as many times as this one did.
christie81776

Post by christie81776 »

I read Gone Girl first and followed it up with Sharp Objects and Dark Places. Sharp Objects was by far my favorite of the three. Its been a long time since I honestly read a book and finished and just sat there dumb founded by what I had just read. I can't wait till the movies come out for all three.
HannahGibson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgibson.html

Post by HannahGibson »

I also had this first impression. However, when I finished it, I was actually more satisfied with this ending than Gone Girl.
k-bish

Post by k-bish »

Gillian Flynn is one of those authors friends continually recommend to me, so I finally made my way to Gone Girl over the summer. I couldn't put it down. It was suspenseful, engaging, and completely disturbing. I finished the book thinking she was slightly disturbed herself for coming up with such a story line. Then I read Sharp Edges. Totally upped the disturbing quotient. This book is like driving by a bad car accident. You don't want to look at the horror on the side of the road,but you just can't help it. Every character in this book is messed up! Like Gone Girl, I couldn't put this book down. With each page, more crazy would be revealed. Unlike the main character in GG, I liked Camille all they way through, even when she was way, way out there. I kept rooting for her, wanting her to find some peace of mind. Somebody in that book needed peace of mind. I currently have Flynn's Dark Places on my nook, but I need a little Flynn crazy break before I dive into another one.
7Shane6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7shane6.html

Post by 7Shane6 »

I loved this book! I too started to care about Camille a little ways in, and the scene on the stairs where her evil mother basically says she never loved her: wow. The twist at the end totally got me, too! I have loved all three of her books, but Dark Places is my favorite by a smidgen.
Phoebe Moon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-moon.html

Post by Phoebe Moon »

I just finished Gone Girl. I guessed the ending, if not in great detail but I had guessed the gist, on page 98. I kept reading until id finished. I was anticipating how Flynn would bring the story round to its finale and at this point I pretty much had my finger hovering to buy Sharp Objects.. However come the last page I hated it so much I decided not to buy any other Gillian Flynn novel.

Considering what people here have said I might change my mind and give it a go... hmmm.
sabakazi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabakazi.html

Post by sabakazi »

Sharp Objects is good read. But as other Gillian Flynn novel this one also ends with a twist.
Britloveslit916
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britloveslit916.html

Post by Britloveslit916 »

After I finished Gone Girl I immediately went out and bought Dark Places and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I liked both but really liked Sharps Objects. If you're like me and enjoy reading about dark, twisted, demented people that you just can't understand, this book is for you. It keeps you guessing and is definitely not predictable like you think it might be.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thank you for posting such a detailed review. After having read Gone Girl, I keep meaning to read other books by this author. I am glad to hear that Sharp Objects gets better if you keep reading. I tend to put a book done if I don't like it after the first 50 pages or so. It's good to know that this book picks up speed if you stick with it. What is it with Gillian Flynn that she likes characters that are unlikeable? :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”