Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn *minor spoilers*

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brosapep15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn *minor spoilers*

Post by brosapep15 »

When I received a nook for Christmas, I immediately got my local library card on it, and was able to check out selected books through the app. The first book that I went with was Gone Girl. I immediately fell into the book, and could not put it down. I also thought, wow, I haven't read a book this disturbing in a very long time. I decided that I truly enjoyed the mystery and darkness and how the other wrote so after finishing I immediately checked out both the other books the author has written. And oh my goodness did they not let me down. SO dark. And twisted. It opened a whole new book world for me as I usually don't fall into the suspenseful, dark and gritty books. But now I am hooked on them all because of this author!
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Not something that I will read. Great job on your review.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Emma-Louise
Currently Reading: This Savage Song
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-louise.html

Post by Emma-Louise »

I really really enjoyed Sharp Objects. It was so much better than Gone Girl. I'm yet to read Dark Places and have heard good things about that book too
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Both Sharp Objects and Dark Places were better than Gone Girl., although I did love Gone Girl.
Bookworm_Sam93
Currently Reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Bookworm_Sam93 »

I couldn't agree more, Gillian Flynn is an amazing author and has that dark twisted sense of writing which I love in a book. I have read Gone Girl, Dark Places, and Sharp Objects and have loved all of them, Sharp Objects was my absolute favorite, all the twists and dark sides drew me in and definitely didn't disappoint at the end.
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

Despite the gore, this book is a fast paced page turner. The plot was clever and well constructed. Flynn is truly a gifted writer!
Erin
Currently Reading: Death Has a Thousand Doors
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin.html
Latest Review: Not 4 $ale by M.R. Biggs

Post by Erin »

I have read Gone Girl, so I can understand how the beginning may have a rocky start or not be what it seems. Thanks for the warning about cutting. I may need to avoid this one.
1deannajv
Currently Reading: The Human Brain Book
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1deannajv.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by 1deannajv »

I really enjoyed Sharp Objects. It was sick and twisted and like a previous commenter said it's like driving by a bad car accident. I'm curious about morbid things. I kind of blame my mother I watched too much 48 hours with her and any sort of true crime shows. I felt for Camille, I could tell from the beginning she suffered from some sort of abuse growing up. I was abused by my alcoholic father. Surviving that has given me an ability to tell if someone grew up in an abusive environment.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I read the Gone Girl because the movie was about to come out. My wife wanted us to see it because it was filmed in her home town in Missouri. I liked the movie, but the book was much better. I like the book so much, I decided to pick up Flynn's other books. Sharp Objects was a tough read but definitely worth it. I thought the recent HBO series was very well done. Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson gave amazing performances. I hope Flynn get's back to writing novels soon.
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

I have only read The Woman in the Window by Gillian Flynn but after reading all these amazing reviews about Sharp Objects, I am definitely going to pick this one up.
JesseSchenck39
Currently Reading: All the Missing Girls
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JesseSchenck39 »

I too, quickly moved on to reading Sharp Objects after Gone Girl. I found it addictive and finished it in two days. On more than one occasion I caught myself saying, WHAT?!? Although mildly disturbing, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pihoo Parakh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pihoo Parakh »

The ending is underwhelming for the suspense it creates and also some sub plots that are just left abandoned in the end filled by a single line of explanation , you feel bereft of a good closure.
After all the plot was good and hard to put down.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I enjoyed Sharp Objects more than Gone Girl. The mystery was so good and it had the perfect amount of darkness I prefer in a book. Trigger Warning: The descriptions of violence can be disturbing for some readers.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”