Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn *minor spoilers*

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bookwreck
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwreck.html

Re: Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn *minor spoilers*

Post by Bookwreck »

When I read Sharp Objects (I read half the book then skipped to the end) I couldn't help but feel that the whole atmosphere felt so fake and cliche. It was like Gillian Flynn was trying too hard. Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance but Gone Girl was a definite improvement.
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

This book was my least favorite of hers I just simply couldn't get into it.
jasteckling

Post by jasteckling »

I thought Sharp Objects was a very good book. The ending was quite a surprise for me, too, even though it probably shouldn't have been. Flynn has a certain style of writing, where she definitely intends to mislead you and can do that without making it obvious. In Sharp Objects, I think the best part of the book is the main character's problems being back in the small town she left behind. The tensions were obvious between her mother and her, and it was evident there was a lot of resentment around town, as well. I thought the fact that her mother was guilty of a crime, one that went undetected for decades, was a nice touch, considering she didn't turn out to be the actual murderer as Flynn leads you to believe. I like that Flynn tends to make her main characters not likable initially, then help you see their humanity in a twist in the middle of the story, when the plot picks up pace. The same is true of Gone Girl. I haven't read Dark Places yet, but I do own it, and I'm hoping it as good as Gone Girl. Considering Sharp Objects was her first novel, it's really a good book, but it isn't as good as Gone Girl. I look forward to reading Flynn's novels, and I hope to see a few more from her in the near future.
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Post by jazziemommie »

I have to agree that Sharp Objects did not hook me initially. It is such a dark and Gothic story, and at first I didn't like the main character/narrator, Camille. Luckily, it was the only book I had at the time and I kept reading. I ended up totally enthralled in the story and couldn't put the book down. The are some very dark and deviant characters in the story that you at first hate, then love, and then (in some instances) hate again. I enjoyed the roller coaster ride and plot twists of Sharp Objects. As soon as I finished reading it, I had to read her next novel, Dark Places. I have yet to read Gone Girl but have it on hold at the library. I hear that they are making a TV series out of Sharp Objects. Not sure how I feel about that...
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I have heard so many good things about this author. I guess I really need to read her books! Gone Girl is on my PPV for Direct TV but I hate watching a movie before I read the books! I have the sample from Bares and Noble, but I haven't started it yet. Howerever, your review has won me over! I'm going out to get it tomorrow!
highonbooks27
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by highonbooks27 »

I truly loved Gone Girl, I really enjoyed Sharp Objects, and Dark Places was also worth the read, although not my favorite. I recommend Flynn to all of my friends.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Timea wrote:I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and I quite enjoyed it, this looks like a good book too :)
I loved Gone Girl too! If you liked that book, you will love Sharp Objects. I know Gone Girl skyrocketed Flynn into fame, but I actually prefer Sharp Objects. I connected more with this female protagonist, and I really felt like she could be a real person. The novel touches on many subjects: self-harm, dysfunctional families, and buried secrets. It really is a thrill. Give it a go, and check out Dark Places too!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

After reading Gone Girl, I want to read the rest of Gillian Flynn novels too. This one sounds interesting as well.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
christinaloveslee

Post by christinaloveslee »

Thank you for this as i have been debating reading this book but have been on the fence about it. I am going to give it a try when I finish my current read :D
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Sharp Objects did not impress me when I first read it. I absolutely loved Gone Girl. Like many of the readers in this thread I decided to read all of Gillian Flynn's novels. The thing with Sharp Objects for me is that bits and pieces keep coming back to me and making me think about the novel in all sorts of different ways. I think I need to re-read it.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
scunning2688
Currently Reading: a storm of swords
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by scunning2688 »

I read Sharp Objects prior to reading Gone Girl and truly enjoyed the book. It did not feel forced or far-fetched to me as I work in the psych field and have encountered patients similar to the characters in her book. I haven't read Dark Places yet but cannot wait to! If it's anything like Sharp Objects or Gone Girl, I know I won't be disappointed.
nikki_breyer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikki-breyer.html

Post by nikki_breyer »

Ok I have had this book on my kindle for some time now and have not started to read it yet-I did have a hard time getting into her book Gone Girl, the beginning was rough and it seems like after reading everyone's comments I should expect the same from this book but to keep trucking along! Thanks everyone
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I have read all three of Gillian Flynn's books and I enjoyed all of them. I like the twists she uses in her books. I am usually very good at figuring out the whodunit angles in books and movies, but she keeps me guessing. Great review! I wanted to put this one down at first too, but I didn't.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I read Gone Girl first, and because I liked that one so well decided to give Sharp Objects and Dark Places a try. I had the same initial thoughts that you mentioned; I was not interested in going much farther due to the main character. I didn't like her, and felt that she was totally unrelatable. However, I'm also glad I kept going. Gillian Flynn is a true mastermind.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I really liked this book. I agree in the beginning I had trouble reading it because of the content and I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it, but being the stubborn person I am, I read it all and I'm glad I did. :P
I've read all of Gillian Flynn's books and this one is by far the darkest, which is what makes it better than Dark Places but still not as good as Gone Girl.
Even though I guessed the ending, I was still able to enjoy the book. This is a good book to read but it's not for the faint of heart. :P

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”