Official Review: The Devil's Handshake by Michael Reagan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Official Review: The Devil's Handshake by Michael Reagan

Post by JenniferBoyce »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil's Handshake" by Michael Reagan.]
Book Cover for 1987
Share This Review

“The Devil’s Handshake” by Michael Reagan proves itself to be an exceptional and sophisticated political thriller, if you can get past the inconsistent grammar.

This story follows Thomas Litchfield, a powerful oligarch living in England, along with his wife Gunara and bodyguard/friend Mikhail. Thomas has some business dealings in an up and coming country in Africa through the Russian government, mainly securing oil rights and building a Russian base, even though it is near the American base in Djibouti. Throughout the story tensions build as a possible coup reveals itself in this country and Thomas, along with his faithful bodyguards and friends, are forced to resolve tensions amongst many different countries throughout the political upheaval.

The plot of this book is rich and action packed. Reagan does a fantastic job of giving the reader tons of backstory and information, while still keeping the action coming. Most of the exciting action moments (shootouts etc.) occur towards the end of the story, with much buildup leading up to the action. That being said, there is still plenty of excitement throughout the beginning of the story to keep the reader reading. The characters spend much time at events and dealing with political and business conflicts that the reader is kept engaged, waiting to see what trials the characters will face next.

Speaking of the characters, the characters “The Devil’s Handshake” are were my favorite part of this book. Full of lifelike charisma and heart wrenchingly true emotions, the characters in this story are some of the best characters I have ever come to know in a story. The characters all act in incredibly realistic manners throughout the story. It is easy to imagine the characters as real people. The emotions that the characters exhibit are also very raw and lifelike emotion. There are a couple of points during the story where I could almost feel the emotions of the characters seeping through the pages.

The only true fault or downside within “The Devil’s Handshake” is the authors writing. Reagan, while a marvelous writer, demonstrates a pattern for bad or awkward grammar throughout the story. The most noticeable were places where an apostrophe and an “S” were missing at the end of names showing possession. The unpolished grammar made this book choppy to read and interrupted the flow of the story. The writing almost seems as if it comes from a story that wasn’t properly translated or by someone who didn’t have a complete grasp of the English language, which might actually be the case. I don’t wish to blow the grammar issues out of proportion as there were many times throughout the story that I was able to ignore the awkward grammar because I was so absorbed in the story itself.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. While I truly loved this story, I had to knock off a star for poor and inconsistent grammar throughout the book. I would highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a deep political thriller, especially one with amazing and lifelike characters.

Buy "The Devil's Handshake" on Amazon
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I say it again and again, but it really is sad when a book has a truly amazing plot and characters but just needs a good editor. This one doesn't sound terribly disastrous though, and still worth the read.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Post by sammi8764 »

The only thing I don't like about your review (and I'm sure it was just a mistake) is that when you were complaining about the author's grammar, and (ironically) the fact that he forgot to be apostrophes and an "s" at the end, you yourself forgot the apostrophe in "author's". Next time, make absolute 100% that your grammar is perfect, especially when criticizing another's grammar.

Besides that little hiccup, I like this review. The book seems interesting and fun to read.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

The title of the book is really interesting, I would read the book just for that :P
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
Sunnydaze92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sunnydaze92 »

"There are a couple of points during the story where I could almost feel the emotions of the characters seeping through the pages."

This is why I read so much, sometimes characters in books are realer than people in your everyday life.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”