Official Review: Energy Dependence Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Energy Dependence Day

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Energy Dependence Day" by Christian F. Burton.]
Book Cover for 1773
Share This Review

On the surface, Energy Dependence Day by Christian F. Burton is about a terrorist attack. In this suspenseful thriller, the reader will follow the build-up to a major terrorist strike on United States soil. The reader will witness how the perpetrators are recruited and planted near their target sites, and then how they execute their missions. Mr. Burton shows his readers the networks that plan, fund, and carry out these feats of violence in very believable detail.

What is more remarkable, though, is the way Mr. Burton selects and portrays his characters. Throughout the book, the focus shifts in short chapters from one character to another, allowing the reader to see through many different pairs of eyes. The reader is permitted to look into the mind of ordinary women from both Saudi Arabia and the United States, foreign intelligence operatives in Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabian law enforcement, informants, reluctant terrorists, repentant terrorists, enthusiastic terrorists, and resigned terrorists.The variety of perspectives gives the book an intricacy that brings the problems between the United States and the Middle East, as well as the problems within the Middle East, into the light of complexity that they truly merit.

After reading a book like this, the reader is sure to adopt a more measured perspective on the violence that engulfs international affairs. It would be impossible to argue in total favor of the United States’ policies, and likewise, it would be impossible to argue in total opposition to the same. Yet, Mr. Burton doesn’t abandon his reader to this ethical and political debate, but provides wisdom through the mouths of his characters to show his reader how he sees the problem, and what he wishes the solution could be, were it only possible. (I won’t give that one away. Read the book.) Most of the characters are very much a product of their environments, and this distinction from true inhumanity is a crucial truth that is too frequently missing from American political discussion.

But beyond the theoretical reasons why this book is so excellent, it bears mentioning that it is also incredibly well-written. Each character has his or her own voice, and the thought processes that drive them are subtly apparent, such that the reader can believe in the feasible existence of each character. Moreover, the book is character-driven, rather than plot-driven, which is a break from the norm for the political thriller/suspense-type genre. It is abundantly clear that the book is intended to be true to life, and in my opinion, it has succeeded.

I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. In addition to capturing the reader, Energy Dependence Day will also provoke thoughtful discussion of events and trends that affect our daily lives. Mr. Burton shows his readership the value of considering the consequences of actions, not just to oneself, but also to those on the peripheries. Anyone who has watched the news in the last 13 years, this book is for you.

Buy "Energy Dependence Day" on Amazon
Buy "Energy Dependence Day" on Barnes and Noble
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

By your last comment I suppose I already know the answer to what I'm about to ask, but I will ask anyway; do you think someone who doesn't normally read the genre, but is still open to it, would like this book?
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I'd say it's certainly worth trying. If it gets too intense or confusing, you could always put it down or find a reading buddy with whom to talk about it. It would be a shame to let this book go unread if you have the opportunity to try it.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html

Post by ALRyder »

Ah, I probably wouldn't have an issue with it being intense or confusing. I just don't pick up a lot of Political Thrillers. I haven't read very many because a lot of them don't catch my interest; I'm a little more picky with the genre. I'm the same way with Legal Thrillers. It's interesting, because I really like Historical Thrillers. I may have to give this one a try to see if it's as good as you say though.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Not a genre I normally venture into but it certainly sounds interesting!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Not my usual venture, but it sound pretty good!
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
CapeBretonBookLover
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Green Hell by Steve Milloy
Currently Reading: Dreamcatcher by Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CapeBretonBookLover »

I could see this book being very popular, especially due to the recent tragic events such as the Israel ground invasion and the Malaysian airplane crash in Russia. The cover and description are also very interesting.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

This sounds like a good story. I always appreciate an author who can show events from multiple viewpoints. After all, we don't live in a vacuum.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Sunjay
Favorite Author: steinbeck
Favorite Book: All of them
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunjay.html
fav_author_id: 9851

Post by Sunjay »

As long as the books are interesting, i dont care of genres. I like the book and im interested in governement. I cant wait to read this book. So many books that i want to read but theres a little bit of time. The review one of the best so far i had read. Thanks
"Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours." Lemony Snicket
chrishegan

Post by chrishegan »

This approach reminds me of Kurosawa's seminal film Rashomon, the story of a rape and murder recounted from the self-serving viewpoints of the individual participants. In the end the ghost of the murdered woman ... well, I won't tell you. Fish out the flick; very clever. As a writer I've often toyed with using this approach. Look forward to seeing how Burton handles it.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

This does sound different. I've tried a few political thrillers, but they always tend to bore me with an overemphasis on Machiavellian intrigue that degenerates into nothing but action with no character development. Whereas such thrillers could be so rich on the character side. I would never have picked up this book were it not for your review, but now I'd be willing to give it a go.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds great. I love political thrillers and espionage. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love suspense/thrillers. Terrorism is something that I am interested in, too. I really want to be able to understand why some think violence is the only option.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

This looks intriguing. But I think I will take a pass on this book. Thank you for the review.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Again a book on terrorism... I understand that this is an important issue and true danger, but I feel so tired of it. Thanks for a great review anyway.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”