Official Review: Lost Testament: Soul Eater by Nic Wallace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Official Review: Lost Testament: Soul Eater by Nic Wallace

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Testament: Soul Eater" by Nic Wallace.]
Book Cover for 870
Share This Review

I always judge any writer by his first two paragraphs in his book. If he catches my attention and makes me think about actually continuing to see where the story leads, then he is a good writer, but if he catches my attention to the level of making me turn the paper very fast that I miss a page in between!, then in my opinion; he is a Great writer.

The lost testament: soul eater's genre is Fantasy mixed with Thriller. The story is written in first person. It is the first installment in this series. The authors writing style is informal. It is not appropriate for young adults due to sexual scenes, offensive language and violent combat scenes. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

This is the story of a man called Tyler Dawson who didn’t believe in God or anything else for that matter, he made one stupid action and quite literally his life turned upside down. He then was forced to go on a journey; to try to undo what has been done. Unfortunately for him, he bumped into new people or better yet, new creatures that just kept getting scarier by the hour.

I gave the book 3 stars because I liked most of it, not all of it. Some parts were well written and developed that I really enjoyed, but other parts were not written well or developed enough to the point of not being able to skip it. Also there were quite a fair amount of spelling and grammatical mistakes, plus most of the chapters' headlines were missing some letters that I just gave up reading the headline, I believe it’s a technical problem with PDF fonts in various devices.

I read a lot of fantasy books and reading this one didn’t disappoint, in fact, I admired the author's imagination and the world he created and the blend of human world with the supernatural world. In a fantasy book a good author must give the reader details and information about the paranormal world in order to create the image to live in it, but not too much to not bore the reader with details that aren’t needed that will just come up along the story anyway or aren’t necessary.

And of course most of the fantasy books include love stories, in this book there was a love story but unfortunately I didn’t feel it so I didn’t like it, because even though the writing style was good; the pace of the story was sometimes too fast and too confusing to the point that I felt like I started to the read the book from the middle. This is exactly what happened with the lovers' relationship that I felt like I missed a HUGE part of their relationship. And that just made me a bit disappointed due to my strong love for good romantic fantasy books.

I also didn’t like that sometimes they discuss a dialogue they previously had that didn’t occur in the book that made me more confused thinking I missed a page or something. In this book I didn’t like it's romantic story; the heroine is too strong and acts more like a mother than a lover to the hero, not to mention the fact of the age difference. Plus I always like the hero to be strong willed that is not easily shaken and the one protecting and fighting, but in this story he stayed most of the time; weak and in need of HER constant protection.

I also didn’t like the lack of a sufficient amount of the hero's history or background to know the hero and to feel compassion for what he is going through. I only knew his name and his age, that’s it. The same happened to the heroine, her name, what she is, that’s it, nothing about where she previously lived, who created her, nothing to really build a picture of, or give true depth to the person.

But I must admit that I was impressed with the story line, because it was really interesting and the developments of the events were well written. The plot was not expected or predicted at all and that just made me want to compliment the author for his work. I liked the humor in this book because I laughed when I read the sparkle comment and wanted to "hi five" someone. I also liked the reactions the humans did when they were first introduced to the supernatural world. Furthermore, I liked that the representation of the vampires is simple and adequate to what is already known about them, no weird new inventions that just don’t make any sense.

The book said a good message, and I'll put it that way (if your time is up and you're going down anyway; either you do it your way or go down with one hell of a fight). It's original and motivational. I'd like to conclude by saying that I believe the author should work on developing the characters and their relations and concentrate more on a suitable pace. Finally I want to praise the author on his great work and I look forward to read from him again.

Buy "Lost Testament: Soul Eater" on Amazon
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I wish you had given just a little more description of what the book is about. I normally don't like too much explanation, because I don't want too much given away, but I ended up looking up the book's blurb to get a better feel. I noticed that the book's description has a lot of grammatical errors. This isn't normally something that bothers me, but it seemed a little excessive. Are there that many throughout the book, or did the author just not edit the description at all I wonder?
Hendmosaad89

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

I apologize if the description of the story isn't enough. I honestly feared saying too much and spoil it for you, plus I wanted to give a suspense vib to the readers;).I too dont mind having errors in a book as long as I still get what the author is trying to say. Yes there were alot of grammatical mistakes throughout the book, especially the headlines had many letters missing that I gave up trying to read them.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html

Post by ALRyder »

No, I totally get the whole description thing. I still sometimes have a hard time figuring out how much to say when I do the reviews on here.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

It sound good, but I ate a lot of grammatical errors. Maye I'll pass on this one, great review though.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Hendmosaad89

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

Thank you very much, I appreciate it:)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”