Official Review: Sportsman's Bet by Judy Nichols

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Sportsman's Bet by Judy Nichols

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sportsman's Bet" by Judy Nichols.]
Book Cover for 265
Share This Review

The story, Sportman's Bet is a novel of mystery revolving around a murder of an older woman named Velma Saunders, who has a dark, secretive past and it is Ian Dodge's mission to discover not only who killed her, but what her past consisted of. The story was told from Ian's point of view, in first person. The way the story unfolds will keep the reader guessing all the way up to the end when everything falls into place.

I found it thrilling, and engaging how the author presented the story so that the reader throughout the story is trying to piece together who committed the crime and also put together pieces of the smaller mysteries that made up the biggest and most important of them all, the murder. The story is well written in the sense of description, all the characters aside from the main character was well depicted. However, I did find myself having a hard time relating to Ian Dodge.

The story was engaging, and it was also fun. I greatly enjoyed trying to put pieces of the information together as I read through the story so that I had a hard time putting it down. The book is one where the reader wants to know what is going to happen next and who the killer is and all the other little mysteries presented that tie into the bigger picture. Also, the author incorporated British Slang into the story to give more credit to Ian Dodge's back ground and I found it very interesting and some of it funny. One question.

From the beginning, upon accepting to review this book, I have question I have been asking is how to title relates to the story. I know "Sportman's Bet" is British Slang, however, I am not sure if I missed the point of it, but I didn't quiet understand what it had to do with the story.

However, there were a lot of grammatical errors through out the book that seemed to get worse through the end. It almost felt like there very little proofreading done. From, words were they don't belong to punctuation missing or in the incorrect place, it became frustrating. Some of the sentences were hard to figure out because of it. Also, I didn't feel there was enough description of the main character, Ian Dodge, I could easily visualize every other character in the story except for him. In the middle of the story, as well, I started to become bored, when Ian was speaking with a deacon and he launched into a long story about a man from Velma's past which also brought the book down for me.

I rate this novel a 2 out of 4 stars because the grammar really brought the story down for me and the point in the story where the reader was able to become bored with what was going on. I would have rated this story a 3 out of 4 stars as I did enjoy the story line, however, though I would recommend this book to fellow mystery lovers and readers, I would not be likely to pick this story up and read it again.

Buy "Sportsman's Bet" on Amazon
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

Great review. Thanks.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Wish it was edited better. Thank you for the great review!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you! :)
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Good review!
I've read a bunch of your reviews before, and you usually deliver high quality.
Well done!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

This definitely seems like my sort of a book. It seems like a bit of editing is all that this book needs. Nonetheless i added this book to my bookshelf.

And thanks for sharing this great review with us. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

lane_vespertine wrote:Good review!
I've read a bunch of your reviews before, and you usually deliver high quality.
Well done!
Thank you for the compliment! :)
wasif_ahmed wrote:This definitely seems like my sort of a book. It seems like a bit of editing is all that this book needs. Nonetheless i added this book to my bookshelf.

And thanks for sharing this great review with us. :)
That is good to hear! If you read it let me know what you think of it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”