Official Review: The Fingerprint of Destiny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Official Review: The Fingerprint of Destiny

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fingerprint of Destiny" by Laura Schofer.]
Book Cover for 1643
Share This Review

Elena Sinclair has a good nose.

Yes, she’s a reporter for a small-town newspaper on Long Island. But she doesn’t just have a nose for news, she can actually smell emotion. And sometimes danger.

Many scenes in The Fingerprint of Destiny mention smells. In the opening scene of the book, Elena approaches a house fire and can smell the fire (of course), but also “human scents of scorched old clothing and furniture and the fetid smell of something dead, rotten.”

Later, at a funeral, “the lobby smelled of aftershave and perfume, of soap and water and something else. … It was relief, perhaps even joy. Death had passed them by.”

I mention this not because Elena’s sense of smell is particularly important to the plot, but because it can give you a sense of how the book is written. Laura Schofer, the author, builds a scene with concrete details, and these blend smoothly into a revelation of the emotional and even spiritual dynamics at work in the scene … which in turn move the plot.

This blending of concrete and spiritual characterizes the book as a whole. The Fingerprint of Destiny is a book with two faces. One face is that of a typical fast-paced mystery / crime drama involving a hard-boiled detective (or, in this case, newspaper woman) who chases down the story, while running from the bad guys, all the while fueled by a substance addiction because she’s near the end of her rope. I’ve read quite a few of those, and Fingerprint is a really well-done addition to the genre.

The other face of Fingerprint is that of an epic tale of that follows generations of strong but ill-fated Latina women, weaving in all kinds of horror, mysticism, superstition, magic and madness. I’m not sure what to call this, but maybe it belongs in the “magical realism” genre. Anyway, I enjoyed those parts very much as well. The fact that Elena is haunted by her grandmothers’ tragic history adds an emotional depth to the book that goes beyond many crime dramas. Nor is it stuck on awkwardly. The history of Elena, her mother, and her mother’s mothers in Venezuela is woven together masterfully with the contemporary mystery unfolding in Long Island.

The writing about Venezuelan culture seems authentic. Schofer, a Latina herself just like her main character, does a great job with the language aspect as well. You don’t need to understand Spanish to read this book, but if you do happen to speak it, you’ll enjoy the few lines of poetry from Cesar Vallejo that a character quotes (then immediately translates), and the few other phrases that get thrown in. Also, when Venezuelan characters speak English, the phrases and grammar sound like those that a Spanish speaker would choose. Very well done.

I do have one problem with the book; namely, I thought that Schofer tipped her hand much too obviously about who the villain was going to turn out to be. I don’t think this was intentional, but in my case, it happened to tip me off, so I did not get to enjoy the shock of “No! Really? It couldn’t be!” that we are meant to experience in the final scenes of such a book. However, just because I figured out who the villain was, did NOT mean that I immediately understood everything that was going on. The book still held some questions, mysteries, and surprises.

I give the book four out of four stars.

Buy "The Fingerprint of Destiny" on Amazon
Buy "The Fingerprint of Destiny" on Barnes and Noble
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

Dang, I almost wish I had snatched this one up when I saw it listed. Maybe I'll just have to buy it now
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Oh, so YOU'RE the competition! :-)

Yes, it's a good read.
lasdevon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lasdevon »

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my book The Fingerprint of Destiny. I wish you much reading pleasure in your future.
Laura Schofer
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

Oh yes, I am definitely the competition when it comes to yummy reads like these. :P
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

Nicely written review. I'm learning from you. :)
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks, Raindropwriter, you're very kind.

Unfortunately, through some kind of error, the post is missing its very first line, which was supposed to have been,
"Elena Sinclair has a good nose."
ALRyder

Post by ALRyder »

I saw that you were asking about how to edit it back in. It still reads well, though I can understand your frustration.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I'll have to buy this one, thanks for the great review!
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”