Official Review: Forever In Vein by Jody R. LaGreca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Forever In Vein by Jody R. LaGreca

Post by jhollan2 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forever In Vein" by Jody R. LaGreca.]
Book Cover for 1207
Share This Review

When I came across Forever in Vein by Jody R. Lagreca, I rolled my eyes at the thought of yet another vampire story. In the past decade it seems like vampires are everywhere, suddenly transformed into the tragic, misunderstood, Byronic heroes of mainstream YA novels and TV shows. The synopsis seemed interesting though, so I decided to give it a read and I am very glad that I did.

The novel begins with Becky’s debutante ball in Victorian era Massachusetts. A striking stranger arrives fashionable late and beguiles Becky into taking a walk with him outside without a chaperone. Ludwing Von Vanderblatt is a vampire and murders Becky, leaving her body behind in the night to become one of the undead. He digs up her grave and brings her body back to his home, telling her when she awakens that she is to be his immortal bride. Ludwing soon brings home another young debutante, however, and his rules about how vampires must behave chafe on Becky. When her father visits the farmhouse in search of answers and suffers a fatal heart attack, circumstances begin to unfold which draw Becky back to her beloved family home, bringing with her terror and death.

Forever in Vein is a vampire story in the classic tradition. These vampires are not the tame, conflicted teen heartthrobs that have been popular of late. Ludwing Von Vanderblatt and his family are ruthless, sociopathic predators. They live in a ramshackle farmhouse full of dust and cobwebs, bats and ravens. They sleep in coffins and drink blood from hapless victims and bury bodies with ease.

Despite having the traditional handsome brooding male vampire and his harem of beautiful women, Lagreca subverts the trope beautifully with her strong female characters. The book begins with Ludwing changing first Becky, then Carina, both virginal debutantes who fulfill the classic role of damsel in distress, needing to be rescued. As the plot unfolds, however, the male characters begin to display myriad character flaws and weaknesses, those who survive, that is. Ludwing proves to be unfaithful and weak-willed, a slave to his physical urges and to the beautiful temptress Gretchen, his maker. Lady Georgia’s husband has a weak heart and her lover Harvey, who professes his love to her, is also unfaithful.

The heroines of the story, Becky and her mother, Georgia, are the driving force of the novel, though they each have their own weaknesses. Given the Victorian setting and times, they display a frailty and a lack of perceived agency. They both allow their lovers to emotionally and verbally abuse and manipulate them. Despite this, they are the characters whose actions and choices move the plot forward. Though Becky is told of the rules and restrictions of her new undead life, she consistently circumvents and ignores them to do whatever she wishes.

Forever in Vein is not without its flaws, though I consider them to be minor. There are a few typos and continuity errors and the writing could be a bit more polished in some places. The use of vein in the title reads as a clever play on words from the typical phrase “in vain,” but this is not the only place in which Lagreca mixes up her homophones, to a less charming effect.

I am giving Forever in Vein a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Despite some minor editing issues, the novel is a refreshing return of the vampire to the horror genre, in the style of Ann Rice or Bram Stoker. Lagreca manages to create a uniquely alluring world of Gothic style horror and leaves readers waiting anxiously for the next installment.

Buy "Forever In Vein" on Amazon
Buy "Forever In Vein" on Barnes and Noble
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I am a vampire not, but not in the new way vampires are being portrayed. So I am always willing to try a new vampire book, and have had numerous mishaps along the journey I may have to try this one out eventually. As it sounds a little more like my preferred genre. Thanks for the informative review.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

You're welcome, ALRyder! You must let me know what you thought of it if you do read it. I hope you enjoy it!
emsmith0421
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emsmith0421.html

Post by emsmith0421 »

It does seem that vampires are everywhere these days. I'm interested to see if this is more than just another vampire story-your review makes me think that it is so I think I'll have to give it a read-thanks!
JRLaGreca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JRLaGreca »

jhollan2, Hi, Thank you for your review of my book "Forever In Vein" and for taking the time to read it. I really appreciated your positive feedback, especially your comparison to Ann Rice and Bram Stoker. Since I am relatively new at the vampire genre I was hoping you would be kind enough to post your review (or part of your review on Amazon). It would be a real boost to my book promotion, especially since you gave it such a good rating! That really means a lot to me and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed my book. ~ Author Jody R. LaGreca
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Vampires are everywhere. I was really into books with them, but then it started to seem like all books had vampires in them. This one looks good. Maybe this book will get me back to reading them!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I am not a vampire book nut, although I do like a good story. :) I also like books set in New England, so I am going to check this one out!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”