Official Review: Worms in the Apple by Joe DeCicco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Official Review: Worms in the Apple by Joe DeCicco

Post by kismoody »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Worms in the Apple" by Joe DeCicco.]
Book Cover for 1698
Share This Review

Joe DeCicco’s Worms in the Apple takes place in New York. Recently recovered from being shot by a would-be rapist, Mike Romano is determined to bring to justice the perpetrator’s brother, a police chief named Dennis Bryan. To help aid his cause, Mike gets transferred directly to Bryan’s unit to see if he can find any evidence to nail Bryan. While there, he makes a name for himself. When fate makes him help bring down a notorious Chinese gang in China Town, Mike is recruited to start up a new unit, the anti-crime unit. When his “promotion of sorts” comes to the attention of the chief, Bryan asks Mike to start moving his car to a certain location on Fridays. Suspicious Mike starts digging and discovers that the chief is involved in some drug dealing. Clearly the chief is a crooked cop, but other incidents point to there being more than one in this precinct. Determined to clean up the corruption, Mike gets involved in an all-out tactical war with the chief. How deep does the corruption go? Can Mike solve the case, find justice, and clean up his new precinct?

First, the good points this book had. The character, Mike and the other are based off real people only the names have been changed. For me, this makes it feel all the more real. It adds dimension to the characters, draws the reader more easily into the story, and make you feel sympathetic for the characters. At times, the characters seemed to go overboard, but it’s very possible that the real officers did, too, so I can’t really judge that part of Mike and Dennis.

The plot is well-developed, engaging, and funny. The quirky residents of New York of fortune tellers, gamblers, hooker, pot dealers, and more bring to life a city that I’ve never had a chance to visit, but I bet is not the usual part of the city non-residents see. The fast-paced action and mystery Mike encounters is intriguing and suspenseful.

Some problems I see are mostly formatting and typos. The paragraph justification was all over and drove me crazy. It was distracting and made it really hard to follow the exciting nature of the story. There were a lot of typos, some to the point that it made the scene at the time hard to understand.

Overall, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. The story was intense and well-done, but the typos and justification would need to be fixed in order for it to get a perfect review. Overall, the problems didn’t outweigh the enjoyable nature of the story, so I would recommend it for those who enjoy police novels, mystery, and suspense.

Buy "Worms in the Apple" on Amazon
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Great review. Still sounds like a good book :)
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

It was, just needed a few fixes.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Got a chance to read this one, great book. thanks for the suggestion :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

Ooooooh! I wanna read this one.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
joedecicco
Currently Reading: Connected
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by joedecicco »

Thank you all. The typos have been corrected. In the printed version, paragraphs don't jump...

Joe DeCicco

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”