Official Review: Origins: Remote Series Book 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
damla
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damla.html
Latest Review: "Yamani" by Jeffrey Robinson

Official Review: Origins: Remote Series Book 1

Post by damla »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Origins: Remote Series Book 1" by Eric Drouant.]
Book Cover for 1367
Share This Review

"Origins" is an excellent thriller with all of the elements needed -and some more - present for a fast-paced read. Very likable hero and heroine, exciting plot, great concept with unexpected twists and turns... I was already familiar with the works of the author and I liked him a lot, but this first book of Origins series surpassed my expectations.

Set in the middle of raging cold war in the early 1970s, the story starts with one of the numerous black operations under the government, discovering a couple of youth who have extraordinary psychic abilities. Cassie Reynolds and Ronnie Gilmore.We first get to know Ronnie Gilmore and we like him immediately. Cassie Reynolds is a little a bit on the side for the first part of the book and then the author decides to introduce her to the readers a little better. And what an introduction that is! The personality behind this pratogonist is something the literature was missing in the recent years. A sweet and gentle young girl ,13 years old to be precise , turns out to be a sassy and witty young woman, determined to do whatever is necessary to protect herself and her loved ones.

The character development is absolutely impressive. It is rare that in a fast-paced read like this, one can find this kind of solid character development. As the plot unfolds we know more and more about the characters and just the right amount of information is given to keep the reader interested in the plot. This is where the reader notices the author's powerful writing style.

The concept of the book is another impressive aspect. In the middle of the cold war, trying to use psychic abilities as a means of weapon is a great idea. Remote viewing of enemy lines and acting accordingly would be a dream come true for the government officals. Therefore, the ruthless pursuit of Thorne, who is a ruthless power-seeker, is very believable and balanced.

There are very few spelling and grammatical errors but they can be easily overlooked. The style of the author is so fluent that I am actually surprised I even noticed them. However, it would be a good idea to fix those errors in the next edition.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to everyone. I can not wait for the next book. If you like thriller, this book is for you. If you don't like thriller, this book is for you. This page-turner is a wonderful read with realistic characters, excellent plot, captivating writing style, . What more can a reader ask for?

Buy "Origins: Remote Series Book 1" on Amazon
Buy "Origins: Remote Series Book 1" on Barnes and Noble
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

This certainly looks interesting, especially considering the time and place it takes place. I have a tendency to really enjoy thrillers that are set in history.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
damla
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damla.html

Post by damla »

Yes, it is very interesting. I think you would truly enjoy it.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I know there was some secret government programs going on at the time that involved psychics. This sounds like a good book from your description. I'll put it on my wish list.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”