Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot" series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
darkandstormyknight
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkandstormyknight.html

Re: Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot" series

Post by darkandstormyknight »

I've only read "Hickory Dickory Dock" (a Poirot mystery) (I think that was the title, I can't really remember) but I really enjoyed it! It reminded me of Sherlock Holmes stories, but those are usually very short so I was glad that this one had more length to it. I really need to get around to finding more of her stories.
BizzyLizzy
Favorite Author: Naoki Urasawa
Currently Reading: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bizzylizzy.html

Post by BizzyLizzy »

I was planning to read Agatha Christie anyways, but these reviews have absolutely sold me on it!!!

OP, right when I read that Christie's stories were character-centred, I knew I had to read these books. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, and the thing I like most about the series is the characters of Sherlock and Watson and their friendship with each other. Would I LOVE to read more character-centred stories about super-intelligent "Awesome-Ego" jerks with hearts of gold saving the world with their best friends!!! :)

Thanks everybody! I'm gonna get started on these right away!!!
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Hercule Poirot is one of my favorites. He is so charming and clever when "questioning" people. I have also really enjoyed David Suchet's Poirot on TV.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

My first mystery was The Unexpected Guest. Not a M. Poirot book, but I loved it so much Murder on the Orient Expess was suggested to me. I own almost 30 of her 64 novels and I'm on a quest to own all of them someday. Since some we published under multiple titles it's a bit difficult not getting two of the same book.
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
nana4jordan
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscope by Gail Bowen
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by nana4jordan »

My mother was a mystery lover and read Agatha Christie. It was from her that I fell in love with the mystery genre. I have always loved Hercule Poirot. My favorite book was "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd". Quite a twist in who the murderer was. I have always loved her Tommy & Tuppence series, I wished she had written some more books about those two. Same with her "Parker Pyne" series.
I have a sneaking admiration for English authors over the American/Canadian mystery authors, although I read any mystery.......
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

The first novel I read by Agatha Christie was Murder on the Orient Express. It was the first classic detective novel I have ever read and this is most likely where my love for mysteries comes from. What I love most about her stories is that they always keep you guessing and have an amazing ending that you probably didn't see coming.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Murder on the Orient Express is one of my favourite novels. I don't read a lot of murder mystery, but this one is undeniably good. It's so beautifully claustrophobic which creates an enthralling ominous tone throughout the entire novel, making it impossible to put down. The characters are nicely rounded, Poirot is his usual ingenious self and the setting and plot are highly original. I've also read Death on the Nile and although it's good, I don't think it comes even close to Murder :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
7Shane6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7shane6.html

Post by 7Shane6 »

She is the greatest puzzler of all time. I am reading the new Poirot by Sophie Hannah just out of curiosity. Unlike some who have commented, I enjoy Marple as much as Poirot.
ChelseaViljoen

Post by ChelseaViljoen »

Poirot is by far my favorite detective. Agatha Christie has created such a lovable character. Poirot is quirky and ingenious and even though he always prides himself on being methodical and logical he is a romantic at heart. I also love that even though there are so many books each mystery is unique.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I love her work, but her work is too racist sometimes for me to truly enjoy.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Will be reading more of her books after watching a PBS bio on her hosted by David Suchet ( Poirot )
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
AVK2913
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Blood and Gold
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by AVK2913 »

Ah~ I really love Agatha Christie's work! I think like most people, the first book I read was Murder on the Orient Express. I remember reading this in school and that for once nobody complained about the reading assignment.
deelewis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deelewis.html

Post by deelewis »

I love Agatha Christie's Hercule series and I find myself always going back to reading them once a year. Can't get enough of a good thing.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

When I first started on the Hercule Poirot series, I was unsure about reading them despite the praises for Agatha Christie. I mean, the style of writing and setting of the plot wasn't my kind of thing at all. It was after I read And Then There Were None that I got hooked. I'm actually looking forward to starting on the Ms. Marple (I think it's called) series and hope it won't disappoint!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Robee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robee.html

Post by Robee »

Ever since I started reading Agatha Christie in high school I became so hooked on her stories. They really pull me in and delight then shock me at the same time. The characters she makes are also wonderful and unique.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”