Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot" series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amqzong
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amqzong.html

Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot" series

Post by amqzong »

I really, really love this series, for three main reasons:
1. Unlike other mystery books, it focuses A LOT on the characters, their motives and personalities. I'm a very character-based reader (and writer), so that aspect appeals to me. The detective, Hercule Poirot, is a character I can't help but love for his uniqueness: he's intelligent, arrogant, eccentric, and romantic, all at once.
2. I adore Agatha Christie's simple style of writing and how her plots usually include a sprinkle of LOVE and PASSION along with murder.
3. Agatha Christie has a gift for stunning endings. I've never been able to figure out the murderer/motive using the clues in the story...although a few times, I managed to guess it by randomly suspecting a particular character. (What can I say, I'm a good guesser...)
I've been trying to read the books in chronological order (by publication date), but I'm stuck waiting for "Cards on the Table" at the library.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love it as well and have read them all. Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
claire03957878
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire03957878.html

Post by claire03957878 »

Agatha Christie was where my interest in crime fiction started. What I love the most is when I think I know what is going to happen at the end of the novel, but she always surprises me. Her ability to capture diverse settings is so intricately adds another dimension to the well-crafted characters.
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I've read and enjoyed all of Dame Agatha's mysteries, though sometimes I think I prefer Miss Marple to M. Poirot ...
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

Hercule Poirot is probably my favorite detective out of all the crime novels I've read. Overall I love Agatha Christie's work, but the books that feature Poirot are by far my favorites
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
pkumbla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pkumbla.html

Post by pkumbla »

Once you guys finish reading the books in the Poirot series I would recommend watching the series in Netflix with same name. It's equally wonderful as the books.
TheYoungReader_22

Post by TheYoungReader_22 »

I love Agatha Christie and adore both Poirot and Marple. I enjoy the fact that she did not limit herself to one main character. She is an incredible writer with a lot of depth and is a staple for my reading.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

She is one of my favorite mystery writers. Can't say I've read everything she wrote, but enough to know how good she is. I prefer Poirot to Miss Marple.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
2xBlessed

Post by 2xBlessed »

Like most of you, Agatha Christie was my first "grownup" taste of mystery. My high school librarian recommended I think the title was The Man In the Brown Suit. Love her!
lanielep
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanielep.html

Post by lanielep »

I'm actually making my way through my library's Agatha Christie's canon right now. I like Poiret better than Miss Marple, but I have a soft spot for Superintendent Battle. I love that Dame Christie ties romance into her books without making it more important than the mystery.
meena_bakkam

Post by meena_bakkam »

Agatha Christie is my favorite author in the Mystery/Crime genre. Her works are characterized by superb plots and well-etched characters. A lot of red herrings are interwoven in the story line, which keep one guessing till the very end. I simply love Hercule Poirot and his grey cells. I also find Tommy and Tuppence very lovable.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

I'm also a fan of Agatha Christie, particularly the Poirot novels, because I really enjoy the character. Strange to think how much Christie ended up hating him.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
Hola2Cora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hola2cora.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Hola2Cora »

She is one of my favorite authors because her writing did not depend on anything vulgar, rude, crude, or a shock factor. The level of writing was also not written at a juvenile level, so it was interesting to read due to her command of the English language to use descriptive words to paint a picture of the story. I loved her character developments for all the new characters introduced in each book, because it was so classically done that the reader felt convinced they had to be real people. She was very clever in her timing about how much what was revealed to the reader, so as to keep the characters developing and the story moving. Her writing is simply genius!
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I absolutely adore Agatha Christie. Her writing is elegant and her mystery storytelling is basically unparalleled. I love Poirot because he is a character who is more than just a detective: he's nuanced and I think that adds to the stories. And, the stories themselves... Christie is a genius. Period. And she invented a lot of the "tropes" you get nowadays in modern crime, thriller, and mystery novels. I never would have figured out the ending to Murder on the Orient Express. The copy I have says her books have only been outsold by Shakespeare and the Bible. Absolute genius.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
athieling
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athieling.html

Post by athieling »

I, too, absolutely LOVE Agatha Christie's work. Tommy and Tuppence and fun, Miss Marple hides her cleverness under the guise of age and knitting fuzzy pink things, and Hercule Poirot is such a unique character that it is had to sum him up in a few words. I do have to say, though, that my favorite Christie books are the ones that don't include any of her main characters. All the books have similar appeal - a lack of graphic violence in spite of the fact that they are murder mysteries, several plot twists, well-developed characters, suprise endings... all things that have made me read them repeatedly.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”