The Cry by Helen Fitzgerald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SammyLou37
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammylou37.html

The Cry by Helen Fitzgerald

Post by SammyLou37 »

He's gone. And telling the truth won't bring him back...
When a baby goes missing on a lonely roadside in Australia, it sets off a police investigation that will become a media sensation and dinner-table talk across the world.

I loved the beginning to this novel, it had me hooked - and that may be because I felt for the poor woman, who was on a plane with a young baby that was screaming and annoying the other passengers, with little help from her husband! The blurb was a little misleading, but that's fine - it added to the story. I often don't read the blurbs because I'd rather allow the story to unfold without me knowing anything - if someone has recommended it to me, that's good enough.

The Cry is a very interesting look into how one 'judgement call' can completely change the lives of everyone involved. A very powerful portrayal of love, devotion, family relationships, lies and the lengths some might go to protect themselves - all realistically handled by Fitzgerald. The characters all had flaws, which is pretty realistic - and there was certainly a lot to dislike about them. But the main character, Joanna, I felt had a lot of strong, good points too, which enabled you to feel for her and hope for some sort of closure for her.

I read this in two days, if I had been able to I would've done it in one sitting. Loved it 5/5 for me! :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”