Official Review: Stronghold, by Backwoods by Backwoods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Official Review: Stronghold, by Backwoods by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods.]
Book Cover for 2940045235853
Share This Review

Stronghold is the second book in the Off Grid Series by Backwoods. Off Grid, the first book in the series, set the scene for this book, describing life after nuclear bombs and chemical warfare leave most of the population of the United States dead. A few people survive around the country. I recommend reading Off Grid first because it introduces most of the characters.

Stronghold is the story of a group of survivors attempting to band together to live off the land. They have to deal with harsh winters, dangerous mountains, and a lack of all the modern amenities we take for granted. There is also danger from other groups of survivors. To top it off, they have the added complication of having a serial killer in their midst.

This story caught my attention immediately. The prologue had such a twist to it, I had to see what would happen. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed that the story never delivered another twist to equal it. I also felt that there were some hints given of thing to come, that didn’t pan out. It left me thinking that the story could have been more, but that could have been me wanting everything tied up a bit more neatly. And I admit that I am curious enough about what will happen next that I’m going to keep an eye out for the next book.

I was very caught in the story and wanted to know what would happen right to the end. There were a lot of narrative passages that explained the characters’ new lives – the hardships and all the time and energy that went into simply surviving as well as defending against the dangers around them. I thought the power of numbers was very interesting. The different tasks that the group members took on helped the entire group and made them all safer and more comfortable. These passages also talked about their joy in simple things and the strong friendships made as they worked together. I enjoyed the tone of them and the simple way daily life was described as they went through the hard work of building a town.

I’m giving this book three out of four stars because it definitely held my attention. I enjoyed the characters and found myself caring about what happened to them. The story has a little bit of everything - drama, humor, strange dreams, and ghosts. If you have trouble with violence, cursing, drinking or smoking pot, this is not a good book for you. If you like a post apocalyptic tale of living off the land, check it out.

Buy "Stronghold, by Backwoods" on Amazon
Buy "Stronghold, by Backwoods" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”