The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jeromysangel6
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeromysangel6.html

The wolf gift by Anne Rice

Post by jeromysangel6 »

I finished reading the book today, and I started it yesterday! Its a great read I loved it. Can't wait for payday so I can go get the wolves of winter... the next book in the series.. I definitely recimend this book!
awalkthrustorms

Post by awalkthrustorms »

We all know and love Anne Rice for Interview with the Vampire. That was before vampires sparkled and wasted a literal eternity by attending high school. Then Rice broke away from vampires when she found religion. I'm probably not the only one here who thought the phrase "Religion? Anne Rice, you are dead to me." But she's back from the dead and she's brought with her a new series featuring werewolves! And her werewolves can do more than play basketball or fall in love with infants. They can rip people limb from limb, escape illegal science labs, and get laid.

That said the reviews for The Wolf Gift have been mixed. Readers of Interview with the Vampire will see a pattern. (Spoiler Alert! Skip to next paragraph to avoid plot breakdown.) A mortal man is infected. He fumbles along a road paved with physical changes, new powers, and the moral questions of good versus evil. He seeks answers from wiser werewolves who only appear in real numbers near the end of the book. They tell their tale, which is more interesting than the rest of the book. Instead of grounding us in the century of smart phones and ever so slowly introducing us to the supernatural, Rice should just get to the good stuff. We've all heard of werewolves. We want to see how she sees werewolves.

The Wolf Gift is heavy on the description, heavy on the questions of morality, and light on action. There are some cool scenes but this book is clearly more of an introduction to the series than a standalone novel. I give this book a rating of two stars ** but I look forward to reading the next one. Thoughts?
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

What is it about? (well I mean wolf obviously, but what's the story line?)

-- 18 Jan 2014, 09:52 --

What is it about? (well I mean wolf obviously, but what's the story line?)
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

I see your point but I do not think it is okay for you to bash so openly on the Twilight series. A lot of people (on here) actually like this serie so your post can be hurtful. Just saying.
awalkthrustorms

Post by awalkthrustorms »

Your post is unrelated to the book in this discussion. Thanks anyway.
SneakyReviewer007
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sneakyreviewer007.html

Post by SneakyReviewer007 »

Re: The wolf gift by Anne Rice

Hi FlorenceDupuis

The Wolf Gift is a great book by Anne Rice . It's about a young guy who is a reporter for a magazine in San Fransisco who gets a job going out to this old mansion of a house in California, at Nideck Point to write about it. Now for some reason he feels quite at home there.

While he is there . An incident occurs whereby he is hurt. This brings about power and changes in his life and body. From there a great adventure unfolds.

His questioning of his "gift " leads him to find others like him . Of a struggle about good and evil.. Of a past ..

Great reading. .
shayguthrie

Post by shayguthrie »

This book seems like a good one, I loved most of her others can anyone verify this for me? I'm up for a good read.
rd7ht
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rd7ht.html

Post by rd7ht »

I got this book as a gift. I very much enjoyed it. I like wolf stories more than vampire stories, which is why my friend got it for me in the first place.
The only thing I didn't care for was that books focus on conscience was almost too distracting. I felt like the main character was too distracted by religion and archaic labels. It seemed pretty clear cut that he was only protecting innocent victims and killing those who were violently harmful to the rest of society. This is not something that should be constantly pricking someones conscience. I understand that Anne Rice is used to writing vampire characters this way because they feed off the blood of the innocent and criminal alike, so inner conflict is somewhat expected. However, the main character in this novel is not compelled to feed but instead to destroy "evil."
tabwhichone
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabwhichone.html

Post by tabwhichone »

I think this is one of the best books ever written on the subject of werewolves. I love the transformation being seen as a gift. I loved the fact that becoming any kind of a killer was difficult for the main character. I think to loose what the world calls our humanity and give over to the more straight forward world of animal would cause a great deal of angst as the character must realign his soul. I personally think I would have had a much easier time than this man did.
I also think this is probably the best thing that Anne Rice has ever written. I have read at least something in each one of her series and I find this one to be the best most creative work that she has completed. Just to note; I find the"Lasher" series to be the second best series in her catalog. As it is the most in depth and massively researched project. The amount of information this woman conveys without loosing her prose to a school field trip status is amazing. I am just a glutton for the work she does of this caliber.
KristinaS
Favorite Author: Too many
Currently Reading: Wake
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinas.html

Post by KristinaS »

I have to find time for this book, I always wanted to read it.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I loved the Wolf Gift, and though not my favorite Rice book, it definitely earned top honors somewhere on the list. Truly a great take on the werewolf story, and classic Anne Rice troubled, yet lovable characters!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”