The Tommyknockers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OsakaBomb
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakabomb.html

Re: The Tommyknockers

Post by OsakaBomb »

When I read The Tommyknockers, I didn't get what I expected, but I was happy with that. I had thought it was going to be supernatural, as Tommyknockers are a kind of miner ghost story. But the sci-fi element was an unexpected delight about the novel. It was pretty creepy and interesting.

Stephen King talked about it in his book On Writing (which if any aspiring writers or general Stephen King fans in here haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I'm both of those and it was a very good read for it), and how it was sort of metaphorical writing for his struggle with addiction. Which I hadn't considered at the time, but now I can really see it. The notion of something taking over you, making you do and say things you normally wouldn't.
I don't know if I would say The Tommyknockers is my favorite Stephen King novel, but it's definitely one of his best written ones, in my opinion.
wchrimes
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wchrimes.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by wchrimes »

None of Stephen King's movie adaptations live up to the books. It's rather stunning to me that a man who can paint such vivid pictures in character, place and dialog can't bring those pictures into film. Perhaps the pictures in his head are so real to him that real life will never stack up. Tommy Knockers is not my favorite. Dream Catcher is a better alien study by SK if you ask me.
sthevenletada

Post by sthevenletada »

What would you expect? It's Stephen King's creation. Best writer for me.
western_45

Post by western_45 »

I have to say that although Steven King is a great storyteller, the ending was kind of boring. Steven King is my all time favorite author, but sometimes the ending to his books are so, well, blah. (Sorry Mr. King!)
Blackbeez
Favorite Author: V.C. Andrews
Favorite Book: Candles Burning by Tabitha King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackbeez.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
fav_author_id: 2869

Post by Blackbeez »

This was a good one and I'm not really a Stephen King fan. I don't really care for his jargon but I do appreciate the social themes that he addresses in his books. This one in particular showed off the gross ability of the mob to follow through with horrendous things without question. I found it similar to Needful Things in this manner. His characters are extremely enjoyable as well. My favorite one in this book is the gnarly author who simply gets stuck in the middle of all this craziness in his efforts to help a friend.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Imaginary47

Post by Imaginary47 »

I read this one so time ago and recently sold it with other books at the market where we worked. was ok.... but definitely the best of his work.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I did not enjoy reading this book as much as other novels by King. Having said that it is still a good book and worth reading to pass time.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Im sitting in my local bpol trading store and had this in my hand....would you suggest bag of bones or tommy knockers??
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The Tommyknockers was the first Stephen King novel that disappointed me, basically because it felt like a science fiction story like they wrote in the 1950s but like 5 times longer. I didn't really feel the suspense so I ended up getting bored, which is terrible reading this kind of novel.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”