Vampire Academy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pgomez89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Vampire Academy

Post by pgomez89 »

I loved the series, and now they are making a movie. I don't think they will get it right though. The books have angst, and teen drama, but also have some extremely dimensional and complex characters. Rose being one of them, but Lisa and Dimitri are, in my opinion, deep and gritty, as opposed to the cliche characters i am sure will be in the film. what are some of your thoughts? I am curious if any other book series fans are dreading the film but i would like the topic of this post to remain the different layers of the books characters and what you think of the books overall?
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by emski100 »

I love the Vampire Academy Books and am currently reading Bloodlines the spinoff series. All the character are so amazing in the VA book . I love Rose and her journey with Dimitri. I also liked how brave Lissa became throughout the series in her abilities and how she thought that she could make a change by the end of the series. I watched the movie and enjoyed it for a pretty good plot related to the book. It did have its problems though, but I enjoyed many parts of it. The only thing I am annoyed about is the whole "Mean Girls" ring to it. Mia is a mean girl but giving her the "funny" lines didn't really work with the film. Sure the first book has humor but I felt that sometimes those lines took away from what the book created. Still I'm glad I watched the movie
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I loved the Vampire Academy books but I agree that it will be hard to put all of the aspects into a movie. Like when Lisa pulling Rose into her mind.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Shadowed_Gates
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Honest Illusions
Currently Reading: Moxie
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowed-gates.html
Latest Review: "How to Write Really Good Research Papers, Really Fast" by Bob Ward
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Shadowed_Gates »

This series is my fave YA. It continued to get better book by book and it ended great. Was so excited when I heard it got a movie deal and was even happier to get to see it when it was released.

Now, the movie had a pretty small budget but I think it came across well especially if you read the books and even if you hadn't, the movie explained some stuff.

It had some incredibly cheesy and campy moments and did seem to rely a bit too much on humor BUT with the exception of Mia, I thought casting was perfect.

The final half hour was done really well and was probably where most of the budget went along with "seeing eyes"

I wouldn't mind if Frostbite was made. Love the cast.
Latest Review: "How to Write Really Good Research Papers, Really Fast" by Bob Ward
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

I feel movies never do the right the book deserves
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
Abigailhixson93

Post by Abigailhixson93 »

Im not even sure i wanna watch the movie, i feel by just seeing the commercial that they gonna mess it up.
carelanla

Post by carelanla »

I just finished reading the series. I thoroughly enjoyed all the twists and turns that the charactors ended up taking. I am not sure however; how well the movie will convey all the emotions that the book brought on the reader. Of course I am as much a movie fanatic as I am book fanatic, so I will probably watch it just to see how well they portrayed the book (just as I done with the Mortal Instruments series).
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

I love this series so much, the movie was such a let down.. It's a shame though, the books were really good. I don't think the producer of Mean Girls should've been producing this movie, he made Vampire Academy look like Mean Girls only with vampires and half-vampires instead of humans.

The book series is still one of my favorites.
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

DlVERGENT wrote:I love this series so much, the movie was such a let down.. It's a shame though, the books were really good. I don't think the producer of Mean Girls should've been producing this movie, he made Vampire Academy look like Mean Girls only with vampires and half-vampires instead of humans.

I liked the movie of the Vampire Academy. It seemed to outline the book's events very well. Nothing was changed...aside from a little bit of tweaking. I do agree there are some similar actions in Mean Girls but I really did enjoy the movie. Have you read the Bloodlines series? It's the spin off of TVA and the main character is Sydney the Alchemist. The fifth book just came out a few weeks ago. The sixth and final book comes out next year. I can't wait. :D
DlVERGENT

Post by DlVERGENT »

littlebook wrote:
DlVERGENT wrote:I love this series so much, the movie was such a let down.. It's a shame though, the books were really good. I don't think the producer of Mean Girls should've been producing this movie, he made Vampire Academy look like Mean Girls only with vampires and half-vampires instead of humans.

I liked the movie of the Vampire Academy. It seemed to outline the book's events very well. Nothing was changed...aside from a little bit of tweaking. I do agree there are some similar actions in Mean Girls but I really did enjoy the movie. Have you read the Bloodlines series? It's the spin off of TVA and the main character is Sydney the Alchemist. The fifth book just came out a few weeks ago. The sixth and final book comes out next year. I can't wait. :D
I enjoyed the movie, but quality-wise, it wasn't all that. I don't think it did justice to the books. And yes, I've read the Bloodlines series and I'M IN LOVE. Can't wait for the last book but I'm also sad, I don't want it to end :( ...
littlebook

Post by littlebook »

DlVERGENT wrote:
littlebook wrote:

I enjoyed the movie, but quality-wise, it wasn't all that. I don't think it did justice to the books. And yes, I've read the Bloodlines series and I'M IN LOVE. Can't wait for the last book but I'm also sad, I don't want it to end :( ...
Okay, I do have to agree with you on that. However, I do really hope they make Frostbite a movie. I want to see who will be cast as Adrian. I think I am just so attached to him as a character that it will be very hard to match up with the Adrian in my head. Then again, I am curious as to the casting. Richelle Mead just created such a perfect being, even if that being is defined by times new roman, black ink transcribed on off-white paper.

Also, I am anxious to see the scene where Rose and Adrian meet on that porch while it was snowing out.
DlVERGENT

Post by DlVERGENT »

littlebook wrote:
DlVERGENT wrote:
littlebook wrote:
Okay, I do have to agree with you on that. However, I do really hope they make Frostbite a movie. I want to see who will be cast as Adrian. I think I am just so attached to him as a character that it will be very hard to match up with the Adrian in my head. Then again, I am curious as to the casting. Richelle Mead just created such a perfect being, even if that being is defined by times new roman, black ink transcribed on off-white paper.

Also, I am anxious to see the scene where Rose and Adrian meet on that porch while it was snowing out.
I don't know if you've heard but they are planning on making a Frostbite movie but only if they can raise $1.5M by September 5. I would post the link but apparently I can't because I haven't been registered for a week yet. And Adrian is one of my favorite characters ever so I'm really anxious to know who's going to be playing him. Honestly, I hope it's a total nobody, a new actor, because if it's someone I know, the image I have of Adrian might change and I really don't want that.

Oh and: is it just me or does Richelle Mead create THE most perfect characters ever?
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I read them a long time ago, I was so in love with Rose, I seriously loved the series but was a bit mad at how it was for a while until the end (Lyssa ftw) but Dimitri was exasperating, I liked Adrian better. I don't think I'll see the movie, but I hope it gives the series some justice.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
DlVERGENT

Post by DlVERGENT »

Mickaila wrote:I read them a long time ago, I was so in love with Rose, I seriously loved the series but was a bit mad at how it was for a while until the end (Lyssa ftw) but Dimitri was exasperating, I liked Adrian better. I don't think I'll see the movie, but I hope it gives the series some justice.
Have you read the Bloodlines series? If you haven't, you really should, especially if you love Adrian.
littlebook

Post by littlebook »

DlVERGENT wrote:

I don't know if you've heard but they are planning on making a Frostbite movie but only if they can raise $1.5M by September 5. I would post the link but apparently I can't because I haven't been registered for a week yet. And Adrian is one of my favorite characters ever so I'm really anxious to know who's going to be playing him. Honestly, I hope it's a total nobody, a new actor, because if it's someone I know, the image I have of Adrian might change and I really don't want that.

Oh and: is it just me or does Richelle Mead create THE most perfect characters ever?
Wow I had no clue. I really hope they can raise enough. Richelle Mead is such a great author, she does make THE best characters. :) Have you read any of her other series and/or books?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”