Official Review: The Anchor That Stopped The World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: The Anchor That Stopped The World

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Anchor That Stopped The World" by Agostino Scafidi.]

The Anchor that Stopped the World by Agostino Scafidi was not like I thought it would be. I was picturing maybe a ship or something to do with the Navy or war. I was not expecting it to be about organized crime or revenge. Mr. Scafidi certainly took me by surprise with this work of fiction.

Have you ever woke up and did not know where you were or how you got there? This is Martin Rizzo’s experience on this particular day. His imagination as book author comes in handy in helping him to escape from where he is being held. Not knowing why he was kidnapped or who took him, he heads to his friend’s house hoping he can help. He meets up with a stranger there and knows that something is terribly wrong. Looking at his friend’s files on the computer lets him know that he had accidently recorded something that someone did not want seen.

Once he finds out that his friend has been murdered, the stakes are raised. He decides to go after those that have hurt his friends. Quick and creative thinking and a little surveillance allows him to formulate a plan that allows him to get out of this mess and bring down an organized crime syndicate. If his plan works, then it is a win-win situation, failure is not an option. It helps that he picked up a backpack with valuable information inside. This could be his best bargaining chip.

I would give this book three out of four stars. It is action packed and keeps the readers mind engaged into the story. I think that the story could use some tweaking, such as how Jim Tamian’s name is used in the book. Sometimes it mentions Jim, other times it says Tamian. This could get confusing to the reader. There were also some sentences that could have been combined in order for them not to sound so short. For the most part, I was too busy picturing the scenes in my head to grumble over name usages.

I would recommend this short story because it is a fun, action packed, short read. With only 100 pages total, Agostino Scafidi was able to create an event and allow the plot to reach where he wanted it to go. I would have to say “not bad” on his beginning efforts in the world of writing. I would read more of his work should it become available.

Buy "The Anchor That Stopped The World" on Amazon
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”