Official Review: Richard, Zombie King by Robert C.J. Graves

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Richard, Zombie King by Robert C.J. Graves

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Richard, Zombie King" by Robert C.J. Graves.]

Upon reading the summary to the fictional story, Richard, Zombie King by Robert C.J. Graves, my interest was immediately caught. The book didn't sound like my typical read but from everything that was described it sounded like a book that should really be read first before making a judgment. Definitely glad, I decided to read it. The summary of the story definitely led me to believe the story was about flesh eating zombies and to me, the summary didn't do the story justice.

In the beginning of the story, a prophecy is written about the main character, Richard Diemar. Everyone around him, feels wary around him, sensing the darkness inside of him, and the prophecy just makes things even worse. When the witch that told the prophecy dies, her daughter waits for Richard to grow into a teenager and then sets everything into motion. Tricking Richard into killing his father and two of his siblings, Richard sets forth on a journey, unlocking the evil inside of him. Learning to travel by shadow and how to "make zombies", he creates an army and sets forth to try and conquer the young United States. When Richard realizes there are forces out there than him, it is too late. Just as quickly as things escalated, he watched everything fall apart around him.

What I really loved about the story was the author was very detailed about everything; the characters and the scenery around them was very well described and painted a picture for the reader. Reading the book was almost like watching a movie. I really enjoyed the symbolism in the story as well as the religious references that some of the symbols referred to. There was also lot to be learned from the book as well, it has been awhile since I have gone to the dictionary to lookup and research words and even objects that I was not familiar with.

However, I did not like how complex some of what the author mentioned was. It only happened once throughout the book, but it is a turn off for me when I am unsure of what the author is talking about. Even after reading it over a few times to attempt to wrap my brain around it, I still found it impossible to comprehend. Also, starting out the mistakes were few, but as the story went on the mistakes became more frequent. Words placed where they do not belong, misspellings, and wrong words used left me in instances having to reread the sentence several times to figure out what the author was saying. There was one instance where one of the characters was speaking and the sentence carried over to the next page but then a word was left out leaving the sentence difficult to figure out. I'm certain of the word the author meant to be there but I can't be positive about it. I really didn't enjoy that.

I rate this star a 3 out of 4 stars because I really enjoyed reading it and I believe everybody would enjoy it. I would have rated it a 4 out of 4 stars, however, the mistakes in the book and the complexity in some instances brought it down for me. I am really glad I had the opportunity to read this book and I am sure that everybody else that has a chance to read it will find it a good read as well.

Buy "Richard, Zombie King" on Amazon
robertcjgraves
Favorite Author: Too Many
Favorite Book: Too Many
Currently Reading: And the Mountains Echoed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robertcjgraves »

Wonderful review. I'm biased, but I agree that the book is a good read. :)

FYI, the publisher (Hammer & Anvil Books) and I are now taking another look at the final mark-up of the manuscript to locate and fix the errors the reviewer mentioned. It is my goal as an author to put out work of the highest quality, so I will see to it that the errors are fixed. Thank you for reading Richard, Zombie King.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Sounds like a good book. Good job!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great review! Thanks for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

? thanks!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a good read. I, honestly, am not much into zombie stories, but the idea of making zombies and creating an army intrigued me. Too bad though about the part that you did not fully comprehend. It's a real turn off for an ordinary reader and much more so for a reviewer. Good job on the review.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Very true, however, it has been edited to fix the errors found, so if you do check it out, hopefully it will be a pleasant experience. ?
Stephen Pokoo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O&rsquo;Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

This review offers a thoughtful and comprehensive analysis of the book, providing valuable insights for readers.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”