How Scary is The Shining?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alegator28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Scary is The Shining?

Post by alegator28 »

I was a little disappointed when I read this book just because it wasn't as scary as I hoped it to be. I am looking forward to IT - I hear that one is much scarier!
lyndsie_anna
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyndsie-anna.html
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by lyndsie_anna »

The Shining the book is a lot different from The Shining the movie. I feel like there's a reason that the opening credits say Stanley Kubrick's rather than Stephen King's. I actually read the book just recently, before I'd ever seen the movie, and it's one of my girlfriend's favorites so then we watched it together. And to me, they aren't really even comparable. But the book is scarier in the sense that it delves a lot more into Danny's character and the psychoses that each character begins to experience. There's actually a really interesting documentary on Netflix called Room 237, that discusses Kubrick's intent with the alterations he made to the plot. I would suggest at least watching the movie beforehand though, so it doesn't ruin anything for you.
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
lemming
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lemming.html
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello

Post by lemming »

sarahnichole92 wrote:I am really interested in reading the Shining. Halloween is approaching us and I always like curling up with my classic horrors.

However, I'm hesitant. How scary is the Shining? What am I going to expect while reading it? Will I be able to sleep at night? :?

-- 09 Sep 2013, 21:57 --

Also- I considered The Shining a classic- but I could have mis-categorized. If so, I do apologize!
I feel the book is scarier than the movie. I have a thread about the shining here http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... 22&t=15897
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello
Amberle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberle.html

Post by Amberle »

To me, the scariest things in the novel are the most boring aspects of the movie, and vice versa. Both scared the pants off of me, but for completely different reasons, and at totally different points in the story.
KDI70
Favorite Author: Heather Graham
Favorite Book: The Night is Alive
Currently Reading: Crimson Twilight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdi70.html
fav_author_id: 6581

Post by KDI70 »

I thought "The Shining" was a great book, not really terrifying but the moments of "hair standing on end" were definitely there.
chelseabee45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseabee45.html

Post by chelseabee45 »

Other Stories wrote:I actually found it kind of boring. I didn't dislike it, but to say I really enjoyed reading it would be false. There was no tension for me, personally, and nothing I can recall that was really scary. I would say it is as frightening as you are a visual reader.
I can agree with that somewhat. There were many parts in the book ( mainly the beginning) where I was bored. I kept puttintg it down and didn't pick it up for days. Near the ending it got better for me. It was a little creepy but never really scared me.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I read The Shining for the first time when I was 11 and it gave me nightmares. I read it again last year and it still gave me nightmares. The book was way scarier than the movie. Stephen King wrote an amazing psychological horror novel! I loved it, it has always been one of my favorites. I rank it was up there on the horrifying list. You should definitely try it!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Swalka1991 »

Personally, I don't find so-called scary books very frightening at all. It's difficult to convey the intensity needed for fright in the pages of a book. I suppose I'm a product of radio and film, where sound lends a lot more towards my fear than simply scanning the words on a page.

Stephen King is a pretty good author, though, and knows his medium. So it is definitely an interesting read. Just not something I personally find bone-chilling.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

Never read the book, but the movie was pretty disturbing. lol! The book has to be at least two times better!
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
Superchoby
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superchoby.html

Post by Superchoby »

I gave The Shining a try as my first horror book and Stephen King did a very good job. Definitely a good first horror book to read.
a_mon_avis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-mon-avis.html

Post by a_mon_avis »

I also thought the book was scarier than the movie, a few parts in particular. There were some parts which Kubrick changed, and there are interviews with Stephen King saying that he didn't particularly like the movie. The book is relatively short and a very good read! It involves a lot more of the family's back story, which I think is pretty integral to the ending. :)
violetpretty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-violetpretty.html

Post by violetpretty »

I found the book to be quite haunting and creepy. The film, although scary, didn't live up to the book in my opinion. I loved the book and think it is one of Stephen King's finest.
saviolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saviolo.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by saviolo »

Hm. Scary? Not exactly. Its sense of horror is really confined to one place (the Overlook) and I never felt that the thing there could be in my home too. But as a story, it grabbed me right from the start. As with most of Kings work, I really cared about the characters and I didn't want anything bad to happen to them. That's what I think he does really well, and a lot of horror fiction doesn't.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

VERY SCARY. I would not recommend reading it at night. Or while alone.

Or maybe at all.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I had to make a second attempt at this book to finish. the first time I wasn't really into it but then, when I picked it up for the second time I really enjoyed it. Honestly, I didn't think it was scary to the point of not sleeping that night, but there were some parts that were definitely spooky.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”