How Scary is The Shining?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiekat08
Currently Reading: Bloodletting
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiekat08.html

Re: How Scary is The Shining?

Post by katiekat08 »

The Shining is one of the best Stephen Kings books, in my opinion. The first time I read it I was in middle school. Consequently, it was very scary to me. Like, if someone broke my concentration by saying something to me/tapping my shoulder I would jump a foot in the air scary. One of the things that I love about this book though, is that even now, years later, it still gives me chills when I reread this book. The "scary" factor has not been lost. I think this is a thing that a lot of other books lack.
Victoria_99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoria_99 »

It's not scarry at all.
Go ahead, read it.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

This book does indeed still have the "chill" factor.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

It's pretty much like this:

:-o :icon-eek: :crying-green: :scared-eek: :scared-yipes:
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

ALynnPowers wrote:It's pretty much like this:

:-o :icon-eek: :crying-green: :scared-eek: :scared-yipes:
:lol: Quite accurate!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
auntdiva1

Post by auntdiva1 »

I readThe Shining 25 years ago. I couldn't put it down and I was really heart pounding scared. The movie....not so much.
DaintyFlower7
Currently Reading: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daintyflower7.html
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
Publishing Contest Votes: 33

Post by DaintyFlower7 »

King, like Hitchcock, is a master of the slow burn. You won't find jump-scares and gore (usually) in these pages, so if that's your bag, Shining (and most of King's other works) is likely not for you. But if you have an appreciation for writing so sharp it embeds itself in your mind like a splinter, you cannot go wrong with this most beloved of King's works. King has an uncanny knack for taking you on subtle journey into the heart of madness, often leaving you to wonder whether you fully came back when the last page was turned. If you enjoy The Shining, do not miss King's follow-up novel, Dr. Sleep, which follows Danny and his gift into adulthood and, once again, takes the reader into the deepest darkness of madness and fear.

DF7
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
AHenderson42

Post by AHenderson42 »

I was one of those people who felt kind of lukewarm about this book. While very well written, it made me more uncomfortable than it actually scared me. Instead of clenching with anticipation or feeling the heart rate increase that the movie (and King's other books) induce, I was...uncomfortable. This book made me squirm, and made me feel very anxious. I was paranoid of the little noises in my house until I was finished.
jleach1973
Currently Reading: A Dirty Shame
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleach1973.html

Post by jleach1973 »

I believe The Shining is one of Stephen King's greatest classic horror stories. In this book, the suspense builds relentlessly as Jack's grip on reality begins to slip, first in small ways and then in much bigger ones. Throw in the isolation of the environment and the strange occurrences that happen more and more and you have a seriously creepy story. This book is not gory horror, it is much more psychological which can be much more terrifying.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I didn't find The Shining scary at all. I think it all depends on how you let your imagination run wild. I also read the sequel called Doctor Sleep and again it wasn't scary, it was actually one of the worst books I've ever read. All the hype around The Shining made me believe it would be amazing but instead I was disappointed. If The Shining is one of Stephen King's best novels then I guess I won't be reading any of his other books.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

DaintyFlower7 wrote:King, like Hitchcock, is a master of the slow burn. You won't find jump-scares and gore (usually) in these pages, so if that's your bag, Shining (and most of King's other works) is likely not for you. But if you have an appreciation for writing so sharp it embeds itself in your mind like a splinter, you cannot go wrong with this most beloved of King's works. King has an uncanny knack for taking you on subtle journey into the heart of madness, often leaving you to wonder whether you fully came back when the last page was turned. If you enjoy The Shining, do not miss King's follow-up novel, Dr. Sleep, which follows Danny and his gift into adulthood and, once again, takes the reader into the deepest darkness of madness and fear.

DF7
This is a great description of a great book, and one of my favorite authors. Lately I've been thinking about rereading some of the older King novels.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
melly811
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melly811.html

Post by melly811 »

If you liked The Shining, try Dr Sleep. It's meant to be a sequel of sorts. As with all Stephen King books, it's not conventially scary as much as thought provoking scary. You're not actually frightened until you put the book down and then the most random scenes from the book start to haunt you.
michael_3165

Post by michael_3165 »

I am not one to get spooked by novels and this was no exception. I didn't feel the fear that the movie produced but I am a more visual person. Worth a read though I wouldn't read it twice
[creativecluster]

Post by [creativecluster] »

I watched this movie when I was younger it scared me so I decided to read the book now that I am older and see if it was still scary..... yea it is still scary not gonna lie. he certainly did a great job on this book for sure!! :o
MaryHazelUpton
Currently Reading: The Botanical World
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryhazelupton.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good

Post by MaryHazelUpton »

The Shining is definitely one of Stephen King's scarier books. I think his scariest book is Pet Semetery, and my favorite of all his books is 'Salem's Lot. However, The Shining is one of his better books. As far as I am concerned, however, The King doesn't write any bad books! What I found most terrifying about The Shining was the Overlook, the old haunted hotel where the family comes to spend the winter as caretakers, and how as winter comes on, they no longer have the option to leave. The Overlook itself, as far as I am concerned, is as much a character in the book as the people. Don't read this book at night when you are alone!
The movie is good too, and very scary, but not as good or as scary as the book. I don't think a movie can be as scary as the book, because they have to leave so much out that can't be filmed or that they don't have time to include.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”