How Scary is The Shining?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahnichole92
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnichole92.html

How Scary is The Shining?

Post by sarahnichole92 »

I am really interested in reading the Shining. Halloween is approaching us and I always like curling up with my classic horrors.

However, I'm hesitant. How scary is the Shining? What am I going to expect while reading it? Will I be able to sleep at night? :?

-- 09 Sep 2013, 21:57 --

Also- I considered The Shining a classic- but I could have mis-categorized. If so, I do apologize!
sami0527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sami0527.html

Post by sami0527 »

I too had been wanting to read it for months and I didn't want the ebook version and my sister-in-law and I were out visiting some wineries for my birthday that are close to us and were taking a break by stoping in some small resale shops and she happened to come across a first edition of the book for me!

Honestly, I wasn't that scared while reading it. It was a very good book don't get me wrong, but I just felt like it should have been scarier from the way that others had raved about it. There were a few instances where I had to take a moment before I sent on but Stephen King really does know how to build the suspense in his books :) . Either way it is still worth reading.
sarahnichole92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnichole92.html

Post by sarahnichole92 »

Thank you very much for your input. It's always labeled as "much more horrifying than the movie" and I have seen the movie. I guess what is terrifying about it is it explores the concept behind isolation and the human nature? That are your thoughts?

I have been looking for a physical copy myself. There is a huge book fair in October in my town and my goal is to find it there.
tinebutler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinebutler.html

Post by tinebutler »

The shining in book form is scarier then the movie. You get drawn into the book and cant seem to put it down.
Other Stories
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Savage Detectives

Post by Other Stories »

I actually found it kind of boring. I didn't dislike it, but to say I really enjoyed reading it would be false. There was no tension for me, personally, and nothing I can recall that was really scary. I would say it is as frightening as you are a visual reader.
WendyM
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: Mythago Wood
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by WendyM »

I found the book more unnerving than the movie. With the movie, everything was shown TO you, and that's what you got. The book seemed to get into your head more, and forced you to make comparisons against your own life (i.e. what YOU would consider to be normal behaviour or not, and why it is/isn't).

I found the book to be much more intense - the tension is built up much more slowly, and there's a much more pronounced change from the beginning of the book to the end. With the movie, the characters were so insipid that they didn't actually seem to evolve much.
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

WendyM wrote:I found the book more unnerving than the movie. With the movie, everything was shown TO you, and that's what you got. The book seemed to get into your head more, and forced you to make comparisons against your own life (i.e. what YOU would consider to be normal behaviour or not, and why it is/isn't).
You said it! That is usually the difference between a good book and a movie. Unless the movie director is a genius of the level of Fellini.
steppy61385

Post by steppy61385 »

I didnt find it scary but more creepy. The way the book plays out you can pretty much tell the ending. I did enjoy reading this book and would like to see the movie now.
shortyblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shortyblue.html

Post by shortyblue »

I personally did not think the book was all that scary, until I found myself reading one of the more intense scenes at about 1 o'clock in the morning while the rest of the house slept. I honestly didn't want to turn my light off when I went to bed and ended up watching Tv for a bit first to help me relax. This was several years ago and I was only about twenty at the time, so I might feel differently if I were to read it now. Then again, maybe not. The movie, on the other hand, was not even the least bit scary (in my opinion).
SailingQuilter

Post by SailingQuilter »

I think one's reception of The Shining depends of how vivid an imagination one has. Unfortunately mine is in the stratosphere, so I found the book quite unnerving. Having read the book, I happened to be staying in an hotel when the late-night film was The Shining. Frankly I didn't know whether to turn off the television or continue watching. I carried on watching,- but slept with the light on. I then read the book again - and found myself losing a few more of my remaining wits - yes, it was scary.
Other Stories
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Savage Detectives

Post by Other Stories »

SailingQuilter wrote:I think one's reception of The Shining depends of how vivid an imagination one has. Unfortunately mine is in the stratosphere, so I found the book quite unnerving. Having read the book, I happened to be staying in an hotel when the late-night film was The Shining. Frankly I didn't know whether to turn off the television or continue watching. I carried on watching,- but slept with the light on. I then read the book again - and found myself losing a few more of my remaining wits - yes, it was scary.
Not really. Just how visual that imagination is.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I saw the movie and thought it was creepy. I didn't like it and won't read the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kassie_2000
Favorite Author: Kelly Link
Favorite Book: Tinkers
Currently Reading: Black Swan Green
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassie-2000.html
fav_author_id: 5517

Post by kassie_2000 »

The book was great, but I have to say, in this case, I liked Stanley Kubrick's movie way better. As far as creating a psychological thriller/horror, Kubrick thoroughly delivered. I love Stephen King. Not the best writer, but his character development is out of control, and his imagination is unbeatable. The movie version of his book, however, is in a league of its own. Definitely one of those movies I can watch again and again over the years. I recommend reading King's new book, "Doctor Sleep," the sequel to "The Shining." Not an amazing book, but it's an interesting continuation of the original story, and it was fun seeing Danny all grown up. I bought it on my Nook, and finished it in a couple of days. Definitely worth purchasing!
goldengate
Favorite Author: Truman Capote
Favorite Book: Music for Chameleons
Currently Reading: Tipping the Velvet -The Sixth Extinction
Reading Device: B01M6YJEAH
fav_author_id: 2834

Post by goldengate »

I found parts of the shining to be pretty tension provoking. In some of Kings and Dean Koontz earlier books, they started out at 60 mph and went up from there. They were more creative and took more chances with some really "out there" characters. But they and Clive Barker all seem to be slowing the action down. I would happily suggest Jack Ketchum for any of you who like really scary books....
"I have always imagined Paradise to be a sort of Library." Jorge Louis Borges
bluepoppy85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluepoppy85.html

Post by bluepoppy85 »

I thought The Shining was very scary! There are some images from that book I will never get out of my head, and I still feel scared alone in hotel hallways (though the "alone in hotel hallways" fear is probably more attributable to the movie).

It was scary to me on two levels--the evil in the hotel itself, and the susceptibility of human nature to evil (Danny's father in the book, who wants to be a good man but just can't).

I also think it all depends on what you find most scary--are you more scared of the supernatural, such as ghosts and devils, or are you more scared of real-life evil, like serial killers? That would also greatly influence your view of the book (for instance, my husband laughs at me for being scared of things like ghosts when they aren't real...bc he can't be scared of something he doesn't believe in. But I am actually more illogically afraid of that at night than I am of someone breaking in!)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”