Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Free/Discount Book of the Day! ( + Amazon Gift Card Giveaway! )

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books; They are incredible temporary deals on well-rated books! This also includes free entry into daily free raffles for free Amazon Gift Cards! Sign up so you do not miss the opportunity to build up your library with premium books for free AND get free daily chances to win free Amazon gift cards.

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: A Prize for All Saints by Don Santina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: A Prize for All Saints by Don Santina

Post Number:#1 by fever33
» 09 Aug 2013, 14:06

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Prize for All Saints" by Don Santina.]

Book Cover for 9781626754331
Share This Review

A Prize for All Saints, written by Don Santina, is a historical fiction novel that contains archeology, history, culture, and even a little baseball. This novel is like a mix between The DaVinci Code and Indian Jones.

The story starts out in San Francisco, California, in 1929. Here we meet a young nun, Sister Agatha, walking to the convent. She is carrying a newspaper with an article about the Peking Man, the supposed "missing link." The story then jumps to 1944 in World War Two. Lieutenant John Maletesta is with his infantry in the Philippines. They manage to hold off the Japanese. Until, a surprise attack by a Japanese non-com, leads to Maletesta losing an arm. Maletesta, devastated, will never be able to play baseball again.

Don Santina moves us ahead two years to 1946. We find out that Maletesta is now an English professor at the College of All Saints, where Sister Agatha is the president. Sister Agatha asks Maletesta and two other professors, Hombardt and Willis, to go on an expedition to Borneo to dig up the Borneo Man, which happens to be the most recent "missing link." On the way, the trio comes face to face with many dangers. Will they escape the Malay pirates? Will they find the missing link?

A Prize for All Saints , written by Don Santina, is a wonderful, fast-paced novel. There are so many twists and turns that it keeps the readers on their toes. It is a well-written, and well-researched, novel. For these reasons, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. It had all the elements that I enjoy in a good story. It had suspense, historical facts, and relatable characters, just to name a few.

Don Santina is a dynamic writer that clearly does his research and incorporates true historical data into his fictional novel. If you enjoy Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, or the movie National Treasure, then pick up a copy of this book. I just hope this is not the only time we will see John Maletesta. I would like to see this turned into a series.

Buy "A Prize for All Saints" on Amazon
Buy "A Prize for All Saints" on Barnes and Noble
fever33

Favorite Author: Stuart Woods
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Unintended consequences
Bookshelf Size: 7 books
2016 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: A Prize for All Saints by Don Santina

Post Number:#2 by KSGalDrew
» 24 Oct 2013, 11:07

Although, this is not the type of book that would usually catch my eye I do want to check it out now.
KSGalDrew

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#3 by signed
» 08 Jul 2016, 10:00

Thanks for the review!
signed

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

Post Number:#4 by gali
» 08 Jul 2016, 10:00

It seems like the book has a lot going for it: suspense, historical facts, and relatable characters. Good job on the review. Congratulations to the author for getting a positive review! :)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Rook
Bookshelf Size: 1536 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 85%

Post Number:#5 by chocomeiske
» 08 Jul 2016, 11:13

I like the sound of Indiana Jones. Davinci Code and National Treasure all rolled into one. After reading the sample, I feel sure this comparison is correct. Great job on the review and congratulations to the author on being BOTD.
chocomeiske

Location: http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: Bloodmage
Bookshelf Size: 3921 books

Post Number:#6 by Esies98
» 08 Jul 2016, 11:15

I've always enjoyed stories filled with action and adventure, I liked the review although I think some of the information you gave might spoil the beginning of the story for some. Thank you anyway
Esies98

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

Post Number:#7 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 08 Jul 2016, 11:25

This definitely sounds intriguing. Read the sample - very fast-paced start. Would enjoy the rest of it, wish you had put actual spoilers in there... ;)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Ghost in Notes" by Adithya Suresh
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: It's a Magical World
Bookshelf Size: 176 books

Post Number:#8 by dina s
» 08 Jul 2016, 11:40

I do love Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, National Treasure, so this book is right up my alley, lol :)
dina s

Currently Reading: Bending Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet

Post Number:#9 by hsimone
» 08 Jul 2016, 15:13

Great review! I really like how the author used the "missing link" as the basis of his story. I do like learning as I read, so the historical facts definitely peaked my interest! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :D
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Weeping in the Wings
Bookshelf Size: 294 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 90%

Post Number:#10 by MandalynnJDG
» 08 Jul 2016, 16:01

I really enjoyed your review. It is good to know when an author does great research on a book. Some of the authors just kind of wing it and it takes away from details that could make the book more enlightening.
MandalynnJDG

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

Post Number:#11 by Amanda Zarth
» 08 Jul 2016, 16:49

Although the review really gives you an insight of the book and leaves you curious to read it, I thought the construction of the text was not as good as it could have been. The sentences were short and too direct, whereas I personally like reviews with more analisys and dissertation.
So, basically: good review, made me want to read the book - but also made me want to edit what was written
Amanda Zarth

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9 books

Post Number:#12 by AbbyC
» 08 Jul 2016, 16:49

"If you enjoy Indiana Jones, The DaVinci Code, or the movie National Treasure, then pick up a copy of this book."
Sounds like I need to go grab this book! Great review!
AbbyC

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32 books
2016 Reading Goal: 5 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#13 by BunnySTx
» 08 Jul 2016, 17:08

With so much coming together to make this book such a unique read I'm sure it will be hard to put it down! Thanks for the awesome review! Can't wait to read this book myself!
BunnySTx

Currently Reading: Blood of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 35 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2016 Reading Goal: 75 Books
Goal Completion: 33%

Post Number:#14 by jungkookblog
» 08 Jul 2016, 17:29

Indiana Jones is a great movie. I would recommend it to those who enjoyed Indiana Jones. It gives me a sweet adventurist feel. Must be hard to put it down.
jungkookblog

Currently Reading: All The Dark We Will Not See
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

Post Number:#15 by truebookaddict
» 08 Jul 2016, 19:12

This sounds like a great historical novel with a lot of twists and turns. Thanks for the fantastic review.
"Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~Anne Rice, The Witching Hour
truebookaddict

Favorite Book: The Secret Language of Stones
Currently Reading: the mountain story
Bookshelf Size: 3429 books
Reading Device:
2016 Reading Goal: 75 Books
Goal Completion: 32%

Next