I would like to know what readers want from a good mystery

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RJohnReves
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Re: I would like to know what readers want from a good myste

Post by RJohnReves »

I dislike mysteries in which I solve the case 200 pages before the main character.
Osubuckette77

Post by Osubuckette77 »

I like a good mystery to have an evolving main character with a background. I like a descriptive story but doesn't take many chapters to get to the action. A couple of misleading clues is always exciting too!
Krism1004
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krism1004.html

Post by Krism1004 »

I love to think I am figuring it out only to realize the author wanted me to think that, but then spinning it in a way I had never imagined.
plreadernow

Post by plreadernow »

As a mystery reader and always in search for new authors, I feel the book must be interesting and start pulling you in within the first 30 pages. The story can and should be full of turns and various characters without becoming to difficult to keep all clearly distinct and segragated. Including some history or local charm is a plus but should not be too distracting or in depth. I'm a reader of Grisham, Woods, Patterson and lately Mark Gimenez. Always looking for someone new and different.
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

One thing I can't stand is a romance disguised as a mystery (the Stephanie Plum series comes to mind). Half the story is about who the protagonist is going to end up with. It's not important to the plot at all! It feels like the author wasn't sure what to do next so let's throw some sexual tension in there to distract the reader. If the romance is the reason behind the mystery like a love affair gone bad, fine. Otherwise, it's not needed.
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
nana4jordan
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscope by Gail Bowen
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by nana4jordan »

The first and foremost is the mystery itself..........it needs to keep me wondering who dunnit!!!!!! Although, when the author does provide a hint as to the culprit, the thrill is how the culprit is caught......The suspense. I just finished reading "V is for Vengeance" by Sue Grafton. Her main character is Kinsey Millhone, and this story entailed 3 or 4 main characters who when I started to read it, I kept wondering where the connections between these varied characters are. It isn't until the very end, all the connections are made and tied up in a nice neat bow.

The mystery that I truly love is the one I have to force myself (almost to the point of tying my hands) to go the end to find out who dunnit!
amanda484

Post by amanda484 »

To me a good mystery book must contain:
1. Right from the start suspense and plenty of it through out.
2. Plenty of twist and turns
3. Lots of detail
4. Clues that make you think you know what is going on just to prove you wrong.
5. Connection
I hate to pick up a mystery book and put it down after the first few chapters because the writer did not connect
with their audience.
csuigar
Currently Reading: Silence Breaking
Bookshelf Size: 855
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csuigar.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by csuigar »

i know this is an old post but for me I love intrigue, I enjoy being kept on my toes- twisty plots that have me constantly guessing --i hate it when I can figure out the entire plot before the first half of the book. I also believe in character depth- i want a bit of a back story on the villain in the least, and of course action
Gary Delligatti
Currently Reading: Miramonts Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gary-delligatti.html

Post by Gary Delligatti »

I personally like twists and turns, maybe puzzles, and at the end, The "Oh Wow!" factor!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Something mysterious. ;)
Dougiezerts

Post by Dougiezerts »

I don't like mysteries where you know who the murderer is before the detective does--Columbo! I like to guess who the murderer is while the detective is investigating.
lauriep219
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: Tigers In Red Weather
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauriep219.html

Post by lauriep219 »

I like to be kept guessing. There are many mysteries in which you can guess the ending before you're even halfway through. I like misdirection. I just read The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I didn't see the end coming. I'm not sure if that means it was written as a good mystery or if there was just a lot of distraction.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Pay attention to the ending. It's so disappointing when an author writes a real great story that flows really well then rushes to end with a whimper. I 've read quite a few like that.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I love a good mystery. Every good mystery needs intriguing characters, including a possible unreliable narrator. A mystery also needs a really good plot. I need to be interested in solving the puzzle, so the mystery itself has to be interesting. I hate when I can easily guess the ending, so a nice surprise ending is always good!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
moonbeam23
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonbeam23.html

Post by moonbeam23 »

I agree with Clever plot twists, but I'd just like to add danger. I like feeling that the main character(s) are in Danger and that danger grows the closer they get to the culprit. Also bits of humor to break the tension once in a while can be fun and unexpected. I'm a fan of the original James Bond Books, love the movies too, but the books are still good and I've always loved Ian Fleming's cheesy names.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”