Official Review: Price of Justice by Alan Brenham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HateToWin
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatetowin.html
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
fav_author_id: 2456

Official Review: Price of Justice by Alan Brenham

Post by HateToWin »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Price of Justice" by Alan Brenham.]

The story begins with detective Jason Scarsdale sitting in his patrol car thinking of committing suicide. His wife, Charity has recently passed away, leaving his life turned upside down. He struggles to raise his daughter on his own while blaming himself for his wifes untimely death. All the while continuing his stressful job as a detective.

We follow detective Scarsdale and his partner as they attempt to solve a murder and rape case to put the real killer behind bars. Many things happen along the way that threaten to hinder or even stop their investigation, both with suspects as well as internal affairs within the precinct.

As a fan of crime novels I found this book very interesting. The way the characters were built and described as well as the actions they took helped to build genuine feelings. Some characters are respected for their actions and are easy to relate to while others were not well liked and for good reason.

One interesting thing I found in this book is that the killer was revealed quite early on and the murder was being relayed to the reader as it was happening. You then follow the detectives as they search for clues to put the killer away as well as following the killer as he attempts to cover his tracks. There are multiple cases going on involving several characters. The separate stories were a good break to keep the book from getting repetitive as well as giving the reader a chance to let the previous events sink in.

Overall I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It had an interesting story and enjoyable characters to keep me interested, but it also had some small problems. There were a few spelling errors which are a big problem. One thing I did find a bit annoying however was the German parts. When the characters spoke in German their meaning was easily understood in most cases, but there were times when I felt like I was missing out on the conversation. I still enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

Buy "Price of Justice"
Latest Review: "DIGGING A HOLE IN THE GROUND and other design classics" by Niall Hedderman
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. I don't think I would like reading this book, however. A man who seriously considers killing himself while he still has a daughter who needs him is not someone I want as a protagonist; I want the protagonists to be problem solvers, not whiners.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”