Official Review: Blood Orchard by S.D. Hintz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods

Official Review: Blood Orchard by S.D. Hintz

Post by Carabosse »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood Orchard" by S.D. Hintz.]
Book Cover for 9780984213672
Share This Review

Coren Raines is the newest resident of Onward, Illinois; a.k.a Hell...and Hell smells like apples.

After his marriage fails, Coren thinks that moving to Onward will give him a fresh start. What he doesn't bargain for is becoming embroiled in the Trammell kidnapping case. The Trammell Triplets are three six-month-old baby sisters that the newspaper headlines describe as "kidnapped, bloodied". While he is naturally horrified; Coren has no idea that being a resident of Onward for only two days makes him the number one suspect, according to fist-wielding sheriff, Paul Pritchard.

Paul Pritchard, Onward's Sheriff, will enforce the law any way he has to...even if it means taking that said law into his own hands. Nobody just waltzes into his town unannounced and attempts to give him orders...even if they are from the Chicago Homicide Squad and have links to the FBI. Pritchard has a reputation to maintain: a reputation as a man not to be crossed. He also has Vance Trammell, the father of the three missing girls, demanding that he hunt down the kidnapper and bring him to justice; no matter what the cost.

Jay Donovan is a reporter desperate to uncover the entire story of the Trammell kidnapping case. He is determined on this reckless course despite the fact that Sheriff Pritchard has barricaded the town and placed its residents under a curfew. After all, taking a few risks is in the nature of reporting. It's the only way to get a story and make a name for oneself, he reasons. It is also a way to ensure he is stranded in what has become a ghost town.

Francine Heller is well-acquainted with the horrors of Onward. She has lived there her entire life. She is an old hand at survival: it's her top priority and always has been. Priority number two is getting "The Blondies" to leave her alone...

The narrative "Blood Orchard" is interwoven through the viewpoints of these four characters. Although at first, such a tactic may seem confusing, it only serves as a catalyst to heighten the reader's interest as to what will happen next. The advantage of the four perspectives is that the reader is given short, but surprisingly deep insights into the protagonists portrayed.

I give this book three out of four stars. The writing is fluid and gripping. I read this boom in under 24 hours because I was so hooked-something I've never done before.

That said, this book IS NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED. As the title suggests, blood and gore is splattered between the pages. It is incredibly gory. If you can't handle blood and gore, then this isn't the book for you. If, however, you don't mind gruesome imagery, but find potent imagery compelling, and have a taste for the bizarre, then this is a book not to be missed. Fans of Stephen King will love this. A fantastic read!

Buy "Blood Orchard" on Amazon (available in paperback and Kindle edition)
Buy "Blood Orchard" on Barnes and Noble (available as Nook book)

Use this topic to discuss "Blood Orchard" as well as to comment on the above review by Carabosse.
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods
iuliica
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iuliica »

Thank you for your review, it sounds just like my kind of crime thriller, I can't wait to download it on my Kindle!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”