Official Review: The Flip by Michael Phillip Cash

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The Flip by Michael Phillip Cash

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Flip" by Michael Phillip Cash.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Flip is an enthralling thriller/horror novel which takes place in modern-day Long Island. The story is written in third person, with sections alternating between the current day characters and others dating back to the days of slavery. Author Michael Phillip Cash is no rookie to the supernatural genre, and his expertise is something I look for when choosing a ghost story.

Julie and Brad are married house flippers, determined to start their business opportunity out with slow but steady income opportunities. They find low-budget homes in desperate need of gutting and remodel to sell them for enough profit to move to the next project. The mansion on Bedlam Street seems too good to be true, but the pair sees it as an excellent opportunity to build their profits. Although the work seems manageable enough, Julie and Brad have no idea what they are getting themselves into with the beautiful Victorian’s haunting past. With the lingering presence of ghostly characters, this one is a page-turner through and through!

In all my reading experience, I have found that nothing compares to a good ghost story. The suspense for The Flip does not disappoint. The thrill and desperation showed by Julie and Brad is enough to question if the profit is even worth the terror- even though they find pieces in the home worth thousands of dollars! The personalities of the two main characters were portrayed as realistic, allowing the reader to know enough of a backstory to immediately like them. Julie seemed to be the most relatable to me, someone I felt I would actually enjoy being around. She’s passionate and bossy, but in a way that shows she works hard to achieve what she wants. Brad is loyal, and as hardworking as he is protective. The supernatural characters involved were also given an in-depth backstory, providing a clear insight as to why they still linger in the mansion, long after their time has passed.

The pacing of the story was sorted in a way that kept the suspense building, but excluding any unnecessary additives to slow the plot. Unlike some of Cash’s previous novels I have read, this one had more of a “clean” ending than I am used to with his work, which caught me off guard. It was a bit hard for me to accept the ending, as I am usually more fond of something twisted and dark. Because the suspense was built so high, I expected a totally different ending than what came along.

In comparison to the other novels I have read by this author, I can’t say this one has been my favorite. The story was well developed, but the ending almost seemed rushed, not living up to the rest of the suspense. I rate The Flip 3 out of 4 stars. Despite my complaints, I would still recommend this book to other readers who enjoy ghost stories. It still has the eerie feeling I always enjoy, but not as in-depth as others I have enjoyed more. It was also a fairly quick read, around 200 pages, which gives readers an opportunity to experience the story in one sitting.

The Flip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Sounds like a solid ghost story. The premise is ingenious, flipping houses and finding a terribly old, [haunted] mansion. What a find! Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kourtney Bradley

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Sounds like a solid ghost story. The premise is ingenious, flipping houses and finding a terribly old, [haunted] mansion. What a find! Thanks for the review! :tiphat:

Thank you! It was great!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I haven't heard of a plot quite like this based around a couple flipping houses. Sounds entertaining. thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

kandscreeley wrote:I haven't heard of a plot quite like this based around a couple flipping houses. Sounds entertaining. thanks for the review.

Thank you for checking out my review!
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! What a nice bonus that you were able to review a book by an author you've read other books by. I don't like twisted and dark endings so I would probably like this one. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:Great review! What a nice bonus that you were able to review a book by an author you've read other books by. I don't like twisted and dark endings so I would probably like this one. :)
Yes! This one seemed lighter than the others I've read! I hope you try this one!
–Vera Nazarian
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I really like the cover of this book! Ghost stories aren't normally my thing, but occasionally (around Halloween) I get the itch for a good ghost story. I know a couple named Julie and Brad who live in Charleston, which is supposedly one of the most cities in America. I know I would picture them as the main characters for this book the whole time I was reading, which might be fun. Thanks for the great review!
Shein30438
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shein30438.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG

Post by Shein30438 »

Sounds as those the title makes sense with the premise of the story line which to me is always a good entry into the story. It sounds as though it would be a good read if you 're interested in getting a quick fix from a ghost story. I would really like to look into more of the other novels he has written to see if there is a novel I can sink my teeth into... a bad ending to story ruins the whole thing for me.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an intensely suspenseful read. I'm not much into horror stories, though, I get scared quite easily :). Great job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you!It's a great story, but if you get scared easily, probably not for you! :)
–Vera Nazarian
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The review gives a clear guide to the readers. It entices one to grab a copy to read the story and get ready to a rough ride. This is an exciting one.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you! :)
–Vera Nazarian
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

DIY and a thriller ghost story! That's sounds like a combination that I would really enjoy reading. Great job on the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you! I'm a sucker for DIY anyways! Add in the thriller, I'm sold!
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”