Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JeremyDeJournett
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremydejournett.html

Re: Harry Potter Series

Post by JeremyDeJournett »

I would recommend Ethan Wright and the Alchemist's Order. It's currently a three book series that has several similar aspects with the Harry Potter series including excellent character development and an take on portal fantasy with a twist. It has the struggle between the normal person being thrust into a battle again evil and evil a magic school after a fashion. It is written with the young adult in mind, but was still a good read as an adult and while it share some aspects with the Harry Potter series is definitely its own story and a refreshing take on magic and mysticism.
wildrose
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildrose.html

Post by wildrose »

I read Harry Potter growing up, and I will forever be a Harry Potter kid, so I am very glad to hear that you are getting interested in the books! One series that I found a couple years ago that I really loved was The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's for an older audience since the main characters are graduating from high school at the very beginning of the book. The series is a trilogy, and I like to explain it to people as Harry Potter meets Narnia, but dark and twisted.

They just started a show based on the series on Syfy, but I have to admit that I'm not a fan.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

In all honesty, this might be my new favorite thread...
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow! I feel like I've been missing out! You guys are too funny! :lol:

Go Harry Potter!!!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lepertum

Post by Lepertum »

wildrose wrote:I read Harry Potter growing up, and I will forever be a Harry Potter kid, so I am very glad to hear that you are getting interested in the books! One series that I found a couple years ago that I really loved was The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's for an older audience since the main characters are graduating from high school at the very beginning of the book. The series is a trilogy, and I like to explain it to people as Harry Potter meets Narnia, but dark and twisted.

They just started a show based on the series on Syfy, but I have to admit that I'm not a fan.
I've just read the first two books of The Magicians and I really enjoyed them. "Harry Potter for adults" is a phrase I've read in reviews across the web and it summarizes things quite well. I hadn't thought about the Narnia similarities but that also fits. I'd suggest people read HP first and then The Magicians because TM is a lot more realistic and it might mess with your enjoyment reading HP. I guess "real world fantasy" would be a nice term for it. The magic that is HP is best experienced pure :).

As far as the show goes: I've only seen one episode and I didn't hate it but I'd like to see a few more before I rate it.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Hmm I'll have to keep that in mind. I havent started watching the show yet. Might wait until after I read all the books.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Lepertum, for the suggestion! Like TrishaAnn92 said, I'll also have to keep that in mind. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

I'll check that out as well! Thanks!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I added The Magician books to my amazon cart and God Bless my husbands cousin who is sending me the paperback boxed collection set of Harry Potter! Having a Harry Potter marathon over the week has definitely reconnected me with my inner child who absolutely loved Harry Potter!
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That's awesome, TrishaAnn92! I'm in the middle of the fifth book, and I'm remembering why I love Harry Potter! J.K. Rowling created such a magical, life-like world that I remembering wishing it was real. Hope you enjoy your books! :)
Heidi

dEbi88

Post by dEbi88 »

This series is one of my favorites! Having read it as an adult the books were still amazing! When I watched the movies I thought of them as nice YA fantasy story. But when I read the books I realized it was so muc more than that!
How the caracters grew, how they dealt with adolescent emotional stuff; and above all the bravery, the loyalty. Friendship and family... Also how every character has teit faults. I was quite impressed how one learns the truth of the sentence: One is not either a good person or a Death Eater! Everybody has good and bad in them and it`s your choices that make you who you are!
I cry rivers every time I read them!
On the other side it`s really funny and Rowlings created an amazing magical world!
edelaoefi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edelaoefi.html

Post by edelaoefi »

Harry Potter is a great series that keeps me coming back time after time. I go back and reread it probably about once a year. So far it hasn't gotten old for me, each time I read it I notice new things and fall even more in love with the characters and world. This series has made a profound impact on my life and will always be in my top books list. I can't wait to visit Universal Studios this year to see the new Wizarding World that has been created there.
mstnglady
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstnglady.html

Post by mstnglady »

I remember the first time I heard about the books. There was a commercial on the radio about a potter party for book 4. I asked a coworker about it and he told me about them. I stopped at the bookstore on the way home and picked up the first book. Finished it that night, went to the bookstore the next day and picked up the next 2. Loaned book 1 to mom and had to go the next day and pick up all 3 for her! Needless to say we were at the Potter party to pick up the next book and every potter party after that! Not to mention when we were in Ohio going to Cedar Point when Book 5 came out we made my step-dad take us to meijer so we could be in line when the book went on sale at midnight! Oh my gosh we had so much fun!
ivonnecalva

Post by ivonnecalva »

Harry Potter i believe its one of the best fantasy books ever. The story its at a fast pace in which grips a readers attention. The stories capture the readers attention no matter their age. I must say my favourite book of the series itself is "Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban" for the book provides the reader with hope towards harry as a new character is now introduced and in which will play an important role in the fight between Harry Potter and Voldemort.
WordWaller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordwaller.html

Post by WordWaller »

wildrose wrote:I read Harry Potter growing up, and I will forever be a Harry Potter kid, so I am very glad to hear that you are getting interested in the books! One series that I found a couple years ago that I really loved was The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's for an older audience since the main characters are graduating from high school at the very beginning of the book. The series is a trilogy, and I like to explain it to people as Harry Potter meets Narnia, but dark and twisted.

I recently finished reading The Magicians and LOVED it! Most of my friends had negative things to say about it, the characters especially, but I found it so relatable and amazing. At first I wasn't happy to see it compared so closely to Harry Potter and Narnia, since I loved those two quite separately, but now I know there's just no other way.

Seriously. I want to recommend this series to all my friends. Can't wait to read the others. I haven't even tried watching the series yet because I'm too scared I won't like it and don't want my impressions of the characters to be ruined!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”