Official Review: Alecner by Cynthia Cordell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Alecner by Cynthia Cordell

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alecner" by Cynthia Cordell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To save the human race from extinction during the third world war, an advanced race of aliens, The Unusuals, rescued some of the population. Transporting them to a group of planets where they could start over. This is the basis of Alecner by Cynthia Cordell. This is a science fiction novel set in our distant future, written in the third person, the story follows the life of two people, Eden and Riley.

Riley is the new chancellor of Voltaire. He uses his position to order the destruction of the planet Alecner. The stated reason behind this is that the planet is full of drug addicts. Actually, Riley is acting out of revenge for something that happened to his Nana years ago.

One day Riley sees a beautiful young lady in the crowd. Introductions are made, and he discovers the woman is called Eden, from the planet Alecner. As their relationship blossoms, the fate of Alecner is put on hold. These two occurrences upset Vexa; she has long wanted to rule the system of planets with Riley as her companion. What will be the fate of Alecner? Will Vexa get her Way? What will happen between Riley and Eden? These are just some of the points that you want resolving.

The part of the story that I truly liked was the method of space travel. All the planets were connected together by gravitational tunnels, allowing rapid transport between them. This allows free commerce between the various civilizations, easy interchange of personal for jobs and a vast array of vacation possibilities. I think this would be truly wonderful.

There was one thing that I thought was a truly inspired creation. They had a tablet, which they fed to the plant life. The tablet could read what deficiencies the plant had and then transform into what was required. This is a truly amazing idea.

The part of the book I didn’t like was the brevity in some places. For example, When Craig met Maven they got married after a few dates and those dates hadn’t seemed to go very well. It lacked any semblance of truth, and I felt cheated by the omission. However, the description of Maven in her beautiful wedding dress was fantastically done.

The author, Cynthia Cordell, has some great ideas in this novel; there are elements to this story I have never seen anywhere before. These are clearly described, as are locations and people, and so easy to envision. The characters are well developed with appropriate back-stories, and they interact with each other well.

The writing is mostly easy to follow. However, at times the flow becomes very choppy and hard to understand what is happening. Combine this with many grammar errors that further complicate the understanding of the reader, and I feel that I can only give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. With a bit more polish and proof reading, I feel this book could become a classic. I’d recommend it to all fans of the sc-fi genre.

Alecner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thank you for the review! and I'm glad you liked the book, sad that it didn't have better flow. I read and reviewed a scifi story recently. It's fun to read about a world with aliens and what could happen with that!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”