Official Review: Time Machine Emergency by Dan Busby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Official Review: Time Machine Emergency by Dan Busby

Post by dragonet07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time Machine Emergency" by Dan Busby.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Time Machine Emergency by Dan Busby is a science fiction novel about time travel, history, and politics combined with the biggest questions which face the concept of time travel: if you were to change history, which event should you change? How big—or small—a change will actually affect the future? Most importantly, what will you come back to once the changes start taking effect? These questions plague the minds of science fiction fans every time they pick up a book about time travel, and Busby is not too shy to address them directly.

Derek is a 22-year-old university student working in the lab of Professor Kibble, who has grown fond of his student and calls him a “boy genius.” While working on new forms of honey with a more appealing texture and taste, Derek notices something peculiar happening. As the centrifuge spins, the clock on the jar of honey appears to be ticking backwards. Dan continues to observe and experiment with this phenomenon until he’s finally ready to reveal his discovery to Professor Kibble: time travel is possible, and they have the equipment to make it a reality.

Through a series of trial-and-error in Professor Kibble’s garage, the two construct what they believe to be a workable time machine. They, along with a new member of their team named Lex, successfully send Derek backwards in time and bring him home again. As they revel in their success, reality hits; Russia and China are relentlessly expanding their borders and threats of nuclear war loom on the horizon. The trio know that they must do something—after all, what use is time travel if you can’t use it to make the present a better place?

But which event should they change? How can they change the past without making the present worse? Once in the past, how will they even proceed? An adventure involving war and rewriting history follows, and one thing quickly becomes clear to our heroes: when changing the past, you cannot know what will change in your present until after you return.

As a science fiction fan, I was eager to read a story about time travel. As a history lover, I was also excited to find the world of Alexander the Great incorporated into the tale. I saw so much potential in this short novel. The past and present political tensions, the possibility of unintended side effects from bringing modern weaponry to Alexander’s army, and the possibility of not liking the present they return to all promised a gripping story. Unfortunately, Busby’s work fell short of my expectations.

The concept is this novel’s biggest strength, in my opinion. Busby demonstrates a great knowledge of history and I feel that he thought through, very carefully, how history would have changed if certain events had happened differently. The thought of using time travel to prevent catastrophic events always interests me and the inclusion of Alexander the Great is an angle I have not seen in other books. Busby’s knowledge of Alexander’s campaigns and conquests made the concept that much stronger and more compelling. Still, beyond the concept, I think that Busby could have developed the narrative better.

To begin with, I found myself fairly confused by how the discovery of time travel occurred. I just could not—and still cannot—fathom how being in a spinning centrifuge could at all lead to the object/person going back in time. Perhaps it’s because I’m a novice when it comes to such scientific principles and someone with a better grasp on such things would not have a problem. Nevertheless, the book does not sufficiently explain the leap for me.

This issue feeds into a larger issue I have with the book, namely that everything happens very quickly. The discovery of the concept and the creation of the time machine happen in a matter of pages when I would’ve expected such a process to make up a much larger portion of the novel. I appreciate the process being discussed, considering many such novels skip that part altogether, but I think that Busby needs to use more “show” than “tell” if building the time machine is included in the novel. They also encounter very few—in fact, I don’t think any—obstacles when convincing Alexander that they are from the future, which made that part of the novel rather quick. This pace removes all tension from these scenes for me, and I had a hard time suspending disbelief for most of Time Machine Emergency.

The pacing aside, the characters seem one-dimensional. The best-developed character, in my opinion, is Alexander the Great. He shows resistance when he disagrees, his body language matches his emotions, and I got a better feel for him as a person as the book progressed. The other characters, however, are flat. Their reactions are very predictable and they seem to go along with most suggestions without much resistance. The story is very plot-driven, to the point that Busby sacrifices character development to propel the plot.

In particular, I am disappointed by Lex. So few females appear in the story and Lex’s role, initially, is just as a housekeeper/cook/whatever else they need. While she helps with the fighting later on, I feel that she could be so much more. I understand females not playing a large role in Alexander’s time (outside of wives and concubines), but Derek, Kibble, and Lex’s present is in 2026. Why wouldn’t a woman from (our) future be stronger, more independent, and more engaged in the action? She does serve as Devil's Advocate from time to time, which is when I liked her most, and the other characters would acknowledge her concerns. Still, for the most part, she does not hold as influential a position in all this as the men do, despite the fact that she has been there since almost the beginning of the project.

I would love this novel if everything hadn’t gone by so quickly and the characters weren’t so flat. I also discovered a fair number of proofreading errors, such as misplaced punctuation and capitalization where it did not belong (or missing where it was needed). For these reasons, I have to give Time Machine Emergency a 2 out of 4 rating. I really do not want to because I think the basis is fascinating but the writing needs some work and the story would be much better if it were longer, perhaps even a book series, so that all aspects could get the attention which they deserve.

Time Machine Emergency
View: on Bookshelves

Like dragonet07's review? Post a comment saying so!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting book about time travel, though there crossroad attitudes about it today. I personally believe that tampering with the events of time does not always end successful. Interesting topic, looking forward to read it!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It truly is maddening when we readers start out with such high hopes, just to be disappointed. I'm a big fan of time-travel stories, and I love the idea of an author actually delving into issues with such a concept (that's also why I love the tv show, Legends of Tomorrow; they acknowledge that changing even the tiniest thing in the past could have major consequences in the present). So it broke my heart to read about all the negatives in this book; I could maybe overlook the female not having a bigger and more important role, but bad pacing and a failure to properly explain some things are big pet peeves for me.

Thanks for your well-balanced review; it was very thorough and enjoyable to read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Like you, I enjoy the concept of this book. It's too bad the execution left something to be desired. Thanks for your thoughts here.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Morenikeji Adedeji
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 925">After We Fell</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-companion-adedeji.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Morenikeji Adedeji »

This is a straight-forward and factual review. I like it.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Time-travel stories always make me remember "Back to the Future." Any wee bit we change in the past will impact on the future. Thus, the power to travel back and change anything there is both awesome and scary.

Too bad the story didn't travel well. Thanks, Dragonet, for your usual incisive review.

P.S. Is THAT the book cover?
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 18:35 Time-travel stories always make me remember "Back to the Future." Any wee bit we change in the past will impact on the future. Thus, the power to travel back and change anything there is both awesome and scary.

Too bad the story didn't travel well. Thanks, Dragonet, for your usual incisive review.

P.S. Is THAT the book cover?
Thanks as always for your kind words! I don't think that's the cover, just a picture of the author. The copy I got to review didn't actually come with a cover, now that I think about it.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Whenever someone mention time travel, it reminds me of cartoon 'Doraemon' that I have watched as a child and also a movie 'Back To The Future' about how they use this time travel machine to change their undesirable future by going back to the past. Thank you for your in-depth review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Great review. I also wondered about time travel. I am eager to read such a book like this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You gave me an idea.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The concept of time travel to rectify evil is welcome. Too bad the book ends on a low note.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”